PDA

View Full Version : google favors older pages vs. new ones

eMEraLdwPn
12-02-2004, 02:52 AM
i don't know if it's just a theory or actually been confirmed that google gives an advantage to older pages (not talking about the sandbox here), but i have some pretty strong evidence for the fact that this is true. is there ever a point where this stops playing such a large factor in ranking? because for me, it's making a huge difference in the rankings

Chris
12-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Older pages tend to have more incoming links and more importantly more on topic incoming links.

James
12-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Some people do report higher rankings without touching websites for years...

s2kinteg916
12-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Ive seen similiar results. I think it has more to do with more quality incoming links as chris said above. Alot of webmasters nowadays just exchange links to get pr and topics are totally unrelated.

eMEraLdwPn
12-02-2004, 12:02 PM
i was doing a lot of searches yesterday, and it seemed like older pages were extremely favored, but now it looks like it's not *as* important, but does still play a part... the thing that made me think that is somehow i'm coming up #1 for one of green day's new songs, whereas i've never ranked remotely near the top for any mainstream artists before now. i think it might have something to do with google not re-indexing a lot of my pages since i optimized them.

chrispian
12-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Google favors established sites, older sites are usually more estableshed than new ones, but not always. Google also favors new content.

James
12-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Established as in having lots of content and inward links?

chrispian
12-02-2004, 04:57 PM
If we actually new for sure we could write our own paycheck. Amount of content doesn't factor in directly, but because larger sites get more incoming links by default they would be more likely to have some weight to them. Older sites are more established because they have had time to get into the search engines, establish incoming links and build up content on a regular basis. Just like a brand new newsletter has no back issues until it has been pbulished for a while.

moonshield
12-02-2004, 06:14 PM
yep, it looks like it takes some time to make money.