PDA

View Full Version : Crosslinking your theories ?

s2kinteg916
12-01-2004, 11:46 AM
What do u guys think about crosslinking

moonshield
12-01-2004, 01:39 PM
i think its good. I do it myself.

Cutter
12-01-2004, 06:12 PM
You can incur penalties or even banning for crosslinking your sites, however as long as your site isn't blatent spam I don't think you'll run into any problems. I only crosslink my sites that are relevent with each other.

From what I understand some search engines spammers register 100 domains, and then crosslink everything with emphasis on certain keywords. Once Google figures it out all the of the domains are banned. Spammer registers new domains and does it over again. Or so I've heard. I doubt they work any less than any of us building legit sites although I'm sure they earn more in the short run.

Jaffro
12-02-2004, 12:12 PM
yea keep it revelent to the topic. make sure the sites are related somehow and its fine i'd say. just no spam!

moonshield
12-02-2004, 01:46 PM
i dont think i understand what crosslinking is... what exactly is it? I thought it was just linking to your own sites.

Cutter
12-02-2004, 05:18 PM
yes it is linking to your own sites.

moonshield
12-02-2004, 05:47 PM
so is it spamming or illegal crosslinking, to have a hub site?

ozgression
12-02-2004, 06:00 PM
No. It isn't even spamming to cross-link your sites. Many people believe however, that only 50 (roughly) incoming links from each IP address are taken into account. I suspect that is true.

I have never heard of a legitimate "network", that cross-links their sites, getting any (let alone all) of their sites banned. It is speculation (but i guess alot of things in SEO are).

They funny thing is that most of the people who follow all the "rules of SEO" dont get anywhere in the serps anyway. Whereas, a quality site with an owner that doesnt even know what SEO is, gets good rankings etc... Worry about content, people will link to it. Dont stress over cross-linking. If you want to cross-link, do it.

I will be using the hub site method, not because cross-linking will get you banned, but because i believe it a much more effective means of distributing PR and anchor text (in my opinion).

BTW. Please dont use the word "illegal" unless you are refering to a matter of law :D
________
O530 Citaro (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_O530_Citaro)

moonshield
12-02-2004, 06:07 PM
indeed, thanks! I dont really think SEO is that important for an awesome content rich site, but I have yet to be put in that situation. My political site may be in that position someday. I can only hope!

ozgression
12-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Just make sure you have the SEO basics right - and the rest will follow. :)
________
buy glass pipes (http://glasspipes.net/)

LuckyShima
12-02-2004, 08:15 PM
One of the risks with crosslinking is that it can be checked automatically. Spam sites now dominate the net and google does not have either the will or the way to deal with it on a manual basis. However, something like cross-linking might be picked up through a bot. (I currently cross link using only a couple of IPs which might be a bit risky).

chromate
12-03-2004, 03:54 AM
If the sites are related, I don't think it's a problem. The only non related site I would link from is a hub site such as a business site. Best to interlink between related pages anyway to get some benefit from Local Rank (if indeed it exists). Use a few different IP addresses and there really shouldn't be any problem.

s2kinteg916
12-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Do you guys think if your ip is close to each other ? such as 190.88.56.67, 190.88.56.68, 190.88.56.69 that google would consider it affiliate sites ? rather than ranking u as a individual site

chromate
12-06-2004, 05:04 AM
I don't think anyone is certain if google actually use IP addresses to detect affiliations between sites. But if they do and you're worried about it, then I would suggest getting different network parts of the IP address. Your example are class B IP addresses, so you would want one or more of the first two octets (the first two portions of the address) to be different. ie, 190.88.56.67 and 190.70.56.73. In a class C IP address you would want the one of the first 3 octets to be different, ie: 192.24.50.3 and 192.24.58.3

But I wouldn't worry too much about IP addresses anyway. If your content is ok, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Cutter
12-06-2004, 10:21 PM
I've heard people say ips matter and others say they don't. Assuming your advertising with AdSense Google could still link your domain's together unless you have multiple accounts and can access them behind a different proxy for each.

Seems way too complicated to me. Build quality sites that people want to link to and you won't have to worry about SE penalizations.

James
12-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Adsense and Google's SERs are completely different, from what I've heard.

Seems way too complicated to me. Build quality sites that people want to link to and you won't have to worry about SE penalizations.
That's my belief. As well as attracting traffic in the first place. If you build it, they will come--with a little help and (not so) hard work from yourself, of course.

moonshield
12-07-2004, 03:03 PM
google... I wonder when the other SEs will start givin us great business! And then we will start coding for them.

James
12-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Optimizing for Google also benifits the other SEs.

Lots of links to your site helps it be indexed faster, and more frequently.

moonshield
12-08-2004, 03:07 PM
I dont want to start a SEO discussion, but I heard that links do not really help that much. I heard it from someone named Kevin Evoy or something like that.