PDA

View Full Version : WiFi With Dell Laptop

Mike
11-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi all,

My parents need a cheapish laptop for business, so I'm thinking about buying Dell Latitude C600. They also are looking into WiFi. I don't know anything about this, so I need a bit of help. First of all, what do I buy for WiFi? And secondly, when I've bought it, what do I do next?

Appreciate any help :)
Mike

Westech
11-30-2004, 03:52 PM
Do they want to connect to an existing wireless network (maybe at work?) or do they want to create a wireless network in their house so that they can connect to the internet while at home without plugging in?

If they want to connect to an existing WiFi network, just make sure that the laptop you buy has a wireless card that uses the same standard as the network they want to connect to. (Most likely 802.11b or 802.11g).

If they want to setup a wireless network in their home, get a laptop with wireless capability, and then buy a wireless access point that supports the same standard as the laptop (go with 802.11g if possible). Then you'll follow the instructions that came with the access point to connect it to your home's cable or dsl line and set it up so the laptop can access it.

I use a D-Link DI-624 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6) as my wireless access point and am very happy with it. It connects to my cable modem, and then connects to four different desktop PC's with network cables, and wirelessly to my laptops.

Chris
11-30-2004, 05:18 PM
I would get Wireless G hardware. G is backwards compatible with B so it gives you more options and will be better going into the future. The price shouldn't be that much more anymore.

Mike
12-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the replies...

Do these options what you have said allow you to access the internet "while your on the move"? Like on a train or something?

Blue Cat Buxton
12-01-2004, 05:32 AM
WIFI has a range of about 100 metres, but it can be a lot less where walls get in the way.

I haven't heard of trains having WIFI (although you get hot spots in stations hotels etc, where you connect for a fee.

For totally portable connection you would need something like a GPRS 3G connection card - works like a mobile phone modem but much faster and plugs straight into the laptop

Chris
12-01-2004, 08:25 AM
WIFI doesn't have a range limit of 100 meters. The only range limit is dictated by the antenna used. There are wifi towers that cover square miles. If you need to you can get detachable antenna (although most PCMIA cards don't have port for them).

Blue Cat Buxton
12-01-2004, 08:39 AM
WIFI doesn't have a range limit of 100 meters. The only range limit is dictated by the antenna used. There are wifi towers that cover square miles. If you need to you can get detachable antenna (although most PCMIA cards don't have port for them).

That must be a fairly powerful transmitter though - the domestic products available in the UK are much more limited and I am not aware of any wireless providers over here that provide a wifi service covering wide areas (ie trains) or indeed villages, although it has been mooted for remote communities where broadband is not available.

(We are a bit behind the US I think though)

Chris
12-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Its not that hard. The equipment is only a couple hundred dollars (the tower or mountain to put it on would be more obviously).

Its relatively easy though to say give Wifi to your entire neighborhood if you want to.

Of course you can do it on a small scale too. I have two $25 antennas I used to boost my range so I can use it in the basement (3 floors down) on the other side of the house with walls and racks of chainmail armor in between.

You can even make an antenna out of an old pringle's can. http://www.cantenna.com/

moonshield
12-01-2004, 01:56 PM
chainmall, 3 floors down... do you live in a castle right now?

Chris
12-01-2004, 02:11 PM
No. My router is on the 2nd floor, the basement is the basement, and its where I store my merchandise.

moonshield
12-01-2004, 05:02 PM
indeed, that makes sense.

Blue Cat Buxton
12-02-2004, 04:50 AM
Im off to buy Pringles (any excuse ;) )

Seriously I have really bad black spots in my coverage at home (and I dont have armour to contend with). I hadn't realised that antenna were so cheap and was thinking I would need a series of boosters to improve the signal. I might go shopping....

Chris
12-02-2004, 07:33 AM
The antennas I use are hawking, I bought them on Amazon. My router has an omnidirectional one on it. My basement PC has a directional one pointed at the router.

It boosted my signal from like 3 bars with constant dropping to 7 bars with no dropping.

pas
12-05-2004, 12:53 PM
I would wait for 802.11i - better range and throughput.