PDA

View Full Version : what is the google sandbox ?

s2kinteg916
11-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Ive read a little bit about it.. .but theres not really much information ? anyone would like to explain ?

Cutter
11-25-2004, 07:57 PM
What I have heard is Google kind of isolates a new site for a period of time and you won't see a whole lot of traffic from Google for a while. I don't exactly understand it either.

Some people on an adult webmaster board were talking about it today as well. One guy said most of the problems he's had are with domains registered after February this year.

Chris
11-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Basically the idea is that new sites with new links, or just new links in general, have their bonuses discounted for a set period of time.

The idea being if someone gets a link then it will take some months before the link actually helps them. This way Google is only valuing long term links.

In anycase I haven't seen any conclusive proof of it existing, nor have I personally experienced (I link to new sites and see benefits in as little as 2 weeks).

pas
11-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Sounds more like a penalty than a bonus.

Cutter: To which forum are you referring?

James
11-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Consider it a bonus to those who would have otherwise lost their spot in the rankings.

Kyle
11-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Chris, here is some good proof.

My site survive outdoors setup a page on Camel Spiders just to follow the hype and increase traffic. Within days of putting this article online it was ranked ~15 on google. Currently it is ranked ~17 on Google for the term camel spiders. This page has no external links. All weight is being sent internally.

A friend of mine did a complete site on camel spiders located at camel-spiders.net. He launched this on July 20th, 2004.

I link to him from Survive Outdoors in 2 places, one being our camel spiders page.

He has had a Yahoo listing since August, 2004.

He has had a DMOZ listing since September, 2004 which use anchor text 'Camel Spiders' and is mirrored in the Google directory.

He has been listed in Wikipedia since August with anchor text 'Camel Spiders'.

Yahoo: Ranked #18
Google: Ranked ~#275

incka
11-26-2004, 12:02 PM
I too have seen a hell of a lot of evidence for a sandbox.

moonshield
11-26-2004, 01:07 PM
oh, so that explains some things.

piniyini
11-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Nice of you guys to clear that up, now I know what Sandbox is :-)

Kyle
11-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Some important things to keep in mind...

Older established sites are not as effected by the post-Florida Google ranking changes. Perhaps there is no sandbox, and new sites simply have to do more to rank.

Factors that may help rank your site better are...

- Regularly added new content (daily/weekly)
- Regularly getting more incoming links (not a large amount all at once)
- Localrank. Getting incoming links from other sites ranking on the given SERP you are competing for (DMOZ/Yahoo are good available sources)

moonshield
11-27-2004, 06:40 PM
icebane you could very well be right.

Chris Choi
12-16-2004, 09:11 PM
One more question. How long does it take for the new links
to carry the same weight as old ones?

expressweb
12-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Now i understand what it is all about

stymiee
12-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Although I can understand the desire of any webmaster to see the hard work on promoting their site to have an immediate effect on their site's ranking, sandbox or not, any strategy should be a long term one. All of your links will have value (if the sandbox does exist it might be a few months) and if you've gotten quality links you should find yourself in a position to be successful.

swikriti.sharma
12-02-2017, 02:22 AM
Google Sandbox Effect is only a theory that has been developed by SEOs over the years. Google has not confirmed or acknowledged this which means that the Sandbox Effect has not been clearly proven. However it continues to be believed by many webmasters since brand new websites continue to take time to rank prominently.

damponting44
12-12-2017, 05:16 AM
The Google Sandbox is an alleged filter placed on new websites. The result is that a site does not receive good rankings for its most important keywords and keyword phrases. Even with good content, abundant incoming links and strong Google PageRank, a site is still adversely affected by the Sandbox effect.

nancy07
12-15-2017, 01:36 AM
Google Sandbox is a temporary filter that Google maintains, especially for new sites that it has a hunch about regarding whether they use spammy link building techniques or if Google bots can’t spot which keyword the website is supposed to rank for. The websites in Google Sandbox remain there until Google feels they are worthy of competing with other sites in search results for the keywords.

simon56
12-19-2017, 10:44 PM
The concept of sandbox is about reducing the page rank of newly created domains temporarily. This strategy is done by Google so that the wrong optimizing methods applied by the SEOs (to outsmart Google’s page rank) don’t succeed. The SEOs try to get many inbound links for a website from the ones they own already.

gurunath
12-21-2017, 12:01 AM
The Google Sandbox is an alleged filter placed on new websites. The result is that a site does not receive good rankings for its most important keywords and keyword phrases. Even with good content, abundant incoming links and strong Google PageRank, a site is still adversely affected by the Sandbox effect.

swikriti.sharma
01-18-2018, 10:39 PM
The Google sandbox refers to a commonly held belief that Google has a filter that places all new websites under restrictions for a certain amount of time to prevent them from ranking in searches.

damponting44
01-19-2018, 04:28 AM
The Google Sandbox is an alleged filter placed on new websites. The result is that a site does not receive good rankings for its most important keywords and keyword phrases.