PDA

View Full Version : Firefox.

incka
11-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Get firefox (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=40264&t=1). I have. I didn't regret it.

Westech
11-24-2004, 01:05 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. I use Firefox all the time now. It's an awesome browser and I'll never go back to Internet Exploder.

On an unrelated note, I hear that on spreadfirefox.com they have an affiliate program type of thing where you can post links with your affiliate ID and get points for everyone you refer. If you get a few points, you can get your link listed on a couple of high-PR pages on spreadfirefox.com... :rolleyes:

r2d2
11-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Watch the firefox links appear in everyones sig :)

Have been using firefox for about a year or so now. Have to use IE here at uni, and it makes you realise what a useless incapable browser it is. Why on earth they dont have tabs i dont know...

Cutter
11-24-2004, 01:30 PM
I have exclusively been using firefox for ages now. It was called Phoenix when I first started using it. It took me a while to get used to it, but once I did I haven't turned back.

I thought the "browser wars" were long over after IE clearly dominated Netscape. Looks like part 2 is starting...

incka
11-24-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm spreading firefox as much as possible. I'm thinking of making it like an active x pop if I made a buddy icon website... Heh Heh... The last one of those they see!

Mike
11-24-2004, 01:57 PM
I tried using firefox but couldn't get used to it, I've been using IE far too long :)

incka
11-24-2004, 02:00 PM
It's hard to get used to at first, but when you start playing about with it's settings and personalising it you won't want to go back...

I've tweaked mine to load pages about twice as fast as internet explorer can.

Westech
11-24-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm thinking of making it like an active x pop if I made a buddy icon website... Heh Heh... The last one of those they see!

I love the idea of using an active X exploit to install firefox! The irony is delicious.

incka
11-24-2004, 02:07 PM
And make it so it makes firefox the default browser and removes desktop and quicklaunch IE links... Serves microsoft right for making IE so insecure...

r2d2
11-24-2004, 03:00 PM
That would be good, I have had to go in manually to swap IE shortcuts to load firefox instead on peoples computers I look after securitywise...

incka
11-24-2004, 03:38 PM
I've got a thing for the US securities levels in firefox. It's currently on scared. I'm scared all right. But not of terrorists, of the people who made those security levels...

moonshield
11-24-2004, 03:49 PM
firefox is a good browser, yet not perfect. It is many times better then Mozilla proper. With IE I have not been exploited yet, please dont try :). I think it matters what sites one visits. If your regular exursion onto the Internet is just NYT and Hotmail I dont think browser security really matters. But deep into the internet there seem to be not so nice people.

abelony
11-24-2004, 07:20 PM
I've tweaked mine to load pages about twice as fast as internet explorer can.

Incka, would you mind telling us how you did this?

moonshield
11-24-2004, 07:24 PM
maybe he went into the source code and tweaked it from inside. And Compiled it to his absolute specs. Isn't that what Open Source is for?

Nintendo
11-25-2004, 12:30 AM
I like it, mainly because of the PR box, but it has MAJOR downsides to it. It can be slow, BIG time. Try to download a file and you might as well go spend a half hour watching Ken Jennings get rich quick :D, because it hardly let's you do anything while it tries to download, then at the end of downloading it does nothing. I always have to force close the browser after downloading something to stop the cursed beace ball (iMac).

Here's what some one gave me to make it faster when I first got it, where it was slow just to go from page to page.

Type about:config in your browser
Go down to network.http.pipelining change this to true
Go to network.http.pipelining.maxrequests change this to 8
Go to network.http.proxy.pipelining and change that to true
network.http.max-connections-per-server Default value is 8. I changed mine to 12.

incka
11-25-2004, 12:33 AM
The download bit needs upgrading, and when you click on an mp3 file it needs to know how to open one, etc.

MarkB
11-25-2004, 03:06 AM
Never had problems downloading (quickly) with Firefox.

Xander
11-25-2004, 05:36 AM
Firefox does open file type based on what you tell it the first time it encounters it.

The downloading being so slow is really annoying, freezes everytime I start a download(I tend to switch to IE just to download some files).

MarkB
11-25-2004, 06:28 AM
I wonder why you guys experience download problems? Mine are fine (no slowdowns or freezing) on both my work and home machine.

It took me ages to get used to starting Firefox instead of IE when I first started using it. But now I forget that I need to check pages in IE before I release them LOL

r2d2
11-25-2004, 06:57 AM
Yeah, that is strange, my downloads work fine with firefox at work and home too.

Which version are you using? Maybe try v0.92? Not sure if its still available, probably somewhere.

incka
11-25-2004, 09:22 AM
I converted about 5 people to firefox today :)

Cutter
11-25-2004, 09:22 AM
I was a bit annoyed by the download interface when they added the download manager. I'm used to it now, but still prefer how IE downloads.

ozgression
11-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Never had problems downloading (quickly) with Firefox.

Me either. Although, the download interface sucks...

BTW. Anyone here use ThunderBird?

Cheers...
________
cheap vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

Xander
11-26-2004, 12:40 PM
BTW. Anyone here use ThunderBird?

Yeah I use ThunderBird, have been using it for about 6 months now. It works well enough for me, the junk mail filters are really good.

moonshield
11-26-2004, 01:03 PM
security... how many people use MSN messenger. I do, but isnt that based on the same code as IE?

incka
11-26-2004, 01:19 PM
I prefer to use YIM.

If there is one that is definatly not secure it's AIM. I hate the thing, if it wasn't azoogle's form of contact I would remove it from my system.

lz83ny
11-26-2004, 03:05 PM
I think Firefox is a great browser and could replace IE in the future but not now. I've had some trouble with displaying my JavaScript-run menu, therefore I think FF needs to be improved.

moonshield
11-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Firefox is great that they dont try to copy IE in terms of standards. They stick to the W3C standards. CSS support in Mozilla based browsers is unrivaled I believe.

AndyH
11-26-2004, 10:03 PM
The only thing I do not like about FireFox is the communities cult mentality. Sure, give the choice to other people but it always ends up being like a sales pitch with the FireFox supporter sounding like they are trying to make the weeks commision bonus.

MarkB
11-27-2004, 05:32 AM
True dat :)