PDA

View Full Version : Expanding

Jaffro
11-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Well, its almost 11 months since i made my first site - msn-emotions.org and I'm riding a high at the moment being no1 in google,yahoo and msn for my first keyphrase ('msn emotions'). I've expanded into alternative keyphrases, 'emotions for msn' (think i'm no1 with main se's on this too) and 'funny msn quotes' (steadly rising in se's now but is low priority for me).

What i'd like to do is start expanding more in a slightly more drastic way. Moving into buddy icons or backgrounds/wallpapers, etc within MSN Emotions.org, like subsections of the main topic area. And then target that keyword on its own. The expansion i've done so far is very much within the same keyword area, with msn in mind, i'd like to see if i can push subsections of the site into non-msn related keyphrases.

What i'm worried about however is damaging the existing, msn related, keyphrases. If i get external links coming in for 'buddy icons', for example, to a subsection of my site, will it detract from my main target keyphrase of 'msn emotions'? or cause my site to jump around more in the results for my main keyphrase?

I've been looking to introduce subsections of MSN Emotions for some time, and with christmas holidays coming up i want something planned out to do. So any advice anyone has on expanding site content would be really handy :)

Cheeeeeeeeeers :)

Emancipator
11-24-2004, 07:31 AM
that is one heck of a great feat getting that kind of results on google. I have also been hard at work on my SEO and so far its not going to bad :)

I use a variety of incoming links and it has worked for me. Easily pushing me into the top 5 on google for the terms i want.

s2kinteg916
11-24-2004, 09:45 AM
If it aint broke dont fix it............ =) i would expand rather than revamp

Mike
11-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Yea, just expand it. Add sections, dont' edit them :)

What traffic you getting on that site Jaff? I'm getting 500 uniques a day and I'm on page three of google, so I cant imagine what you must be getting...

Jaffro
11-25-2004, 04:46 AM
Yea the google results arn't stable, thats just google for ya! Personally i think its just luck as i'm not doing anything special - that i know of! :) Alltogether i'm pulling around 1.4k maybe 1.5k a day at the moment, its amazing what those few high places in google can do.

Yea thats my point, i want to expand rather than re-make anything. So i'd probably just put in a horizontal bar below my adsense ad's (basically at the top of my main content) with perhaps 4 subsection links, then each subsection main page should get a pr4 to kickstart its life. I'm a bit worried that webmasters wont want to link to subsection pages, would this be the case for anyone here? Is linking to subsections something you dont like to do, or is it very page dependent?

r2d2
11-25-2004, 06:59 AM
Why dont you start new sites? I think they should probably have them as the new things arent msn emotions are they?

Chris
11-25-2004, 07:13 AM
You definitely won't hurt your ranking adding to your site, so long as the pages currently ranked well are not drastically changed.

James
11-25-2004, 08:59 AM
I think you should keep them under the same site, not drastically changing your current pages (as stated above).

I think that people would consider it more a link exchange between your site and theirs. If the sub-site's high enough of quality then they'll surely want to exchange links with it, even if they don't get their link on your main site.

ozgression
11-25-2004, 04:06 PM
Why dont you start new sites? I think they should probably have them as the new things arent msn emotions are they?

I agree...
________
Ford SI6 engine history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_SI6_engine)

Jaffro
11-25-2004, 05:32 PM
I've done a new site that is still in the se dead zone, google is taking its time to put it in the obvious search term!

The content of the expansion would obviously be related, however the keyphrase may not target something that would be considered related, such as something quite competitive like backgrounds, yet it would be in relation to backgrounds for msn still.

I feel that a subsectioned site would perform better than a completely new one. Spending the best part of a year building links etc for one site, just to have to do it all over again for another one seems a bit of a slow way to do it - esp when the content can be related.

Thanks for all your input to this guys, i think i'll go ahead and start planning in my head to what i want.