PDA

View Full Version : coding a game

Shade
11-23-2004, 04:10 PM
what programing languages can you use to write basic games such as a small RPG or what not. I don't know flash, though that seems to be a very popular way to write. I know c++, and thus i'm familuar with javascript's style, and am learning the calls and what not.

Any idea's comments or suggestions are welcome. I preferably would like to avoid heavy bandwidth problems, though i can always buy more.

r2d2
11-23-2004, 04:32 PM
You mean a web based RPG? If so, I would think Flash would be the way to go, otherwise why not c++? Especially as you already know it.

Xander
11-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Its dependant on what platform you want to play it on and what you have available. There are a lot of php online games but perhaps flash is better suited, it all depends.

Shade
11-23-2004, 05:14 PM
I have no clue on how to intigrate html and c++. I'm rather new at this and only know html and a bit of java in reguards to web based stuff. I was hoping to have it play on a html browser or a pop up.

Basicly for the anime site i would want it pop up, though the games most likley would be rather simplistic. For another site i would want it more html.

thanks,

Emancipator
11-23-2004, 06:03 PM
i am doing a very elaborate RPG in php, enjoying it. But it has its limitations.

moonshield
11-23-2004, 06:23 PM
really? PHP? No, learn Java, the syntax is near C++ (I guess) and it would not be very difficult for a good programmer to learn.

C#, Works with .Net.

Chris
11-23-2004, 07:17 PM
If you mean a browser driven turn based game then any language will work, but its easy for these games to grow quickly and so make sure your code is efficient and your server powerful (or that you can easily port it to a new server).

If you mean a MUD then thats different.

AndyH
11-23-2004, 09:02 PM
PHP/MySQL
Optimize every table
Optimize queries
Don't use an image intense layout

Emancipator
11-24-2004, 05:54 AM
really? PHP? No, learn Java, the syntax is near C++ (I guess) and it would not be very difficult for a good programmer to learn.

C#, Works with .Net.

Yep.. 100% php. And its real time, not turn based. Everyone who has helped test expected a MUD till they logged in and realized its not a MUD, its a graphical game.

Its been a bastard working on it alone, but its coming along well. I wouldnt reccomend a PHP rpg game if you can do it in flash, do it :)

r2d2
11-24-2004, 06:10 AM
So it runs in PHP on your server? How do you update the users page? Javascript or something?

Dont really know much about these RPG/MUD games... So you 'play' the game in your web browser window?

Emancipator
11-24-2004, 06:29 AM
yeah you play in the browser window. Uses a mix of jscript and php.

moonshield
11-24-2004, 07:46 AM
what is the name of this PHP game? I would like to see this madness

Emancipator
11-24-2004, 07:47 AM
its still in testing.. so i can show it to you yet. I am a stickler like that. But I have 25 beta testers ripping around on a rampage killing one another in an apocalyptic world :)

AndyH
11-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Shameless self promotion:

You could take a look at number 1, 2 or 3 link in my signature ;)

Mike
11-24-2004, 10:06 AM
I was thinking about doing something similar to this...

However, I thought of a problem. What I wanted to do was make some text appear on a normal page every few seconds or something, without the page refreshing. What language would you use for this? Anyone know a link to a tutorial?

And Andy, did you make HoboWars? Did you code it all?

eMEraLdwPn
11-24-2004, 03:07 PM
the first thing i ever coded in php was a turn-based game, but i couldn't find a playerbase at all. how did you go about finding people to play? i know that these games can be extremely addictive, i used to play some of them a few years ago... and i still play one now :p

moonshield
11-24-2004, 03:54 PM
andyH... how long did these games take to make... they are pretty sweet!

AndyH
11-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Mike - Correct ... well, someone also helps out and programs some things.

thepoorman - I've been doing it for about 3 years now. Releasing another in the new year (or maybe even before). It gets alot easier once you have done one.

Chris
11-25-2004, 09:12 AM
So it runs in PHP on your server? How do you update the users page? Javascript or something?

Dont really know much about these RPG/MUD games... So you 'play' the game in your web browser window?
MUDs are what came before MMORPGs like Everquest. MUD stands for "Multi-User Dungeon"

Early ones were played through a telnet type system, and in fact many still are. But there are also frontends available with more features specifically for MUDs. Imagine if you could telnet into Middle Earth.

Its basically a text based game. You're in a room, type "north" to go north, and then you see the room description to whatever is north of where you were, if there are other people there, monsters, whatever. Type "attack troll" to attack a troll. That kind of thing. Then of course there are tons of chat-like functions, spells, even weddings.

I still play one, have played it for 10 years. The game itself has been going for 15 years or so. The cool thing about that is that there are real legends and real history and all sorts of real backstory that players actually created or participated in. You don't get that kind of depth in a game like Everquest.

Also, while you are deprived of graphics, you do have much more flexibility in your text description. Obviously if you want some new custom armor or something in Everquest it'd need to be drawn, modeled, and then added to your character. In a text based game your description can just be added.

The only thing that sucks is that its less popular than say Everyquest (much much less popular) and so the company doesn't have the resources (like Sony) to make as many improvements as they would like.

Shade
11-25-2004, 12:18 PM
I played a mud called arctic that is about 15 years old chris.

I think i'll go and learn a mix of java and php. I idealisticly would like it to be expandable through a simple program. To add a weapon or monster, to simply database them in, add it into a random encounter and have some graphics. Does anyone know if these games are really profitable? I heard that alot of them have such high bandwidth costs that the advertisements just pay to keep the game going.

freekrai
11-25-2004, 03:07 PM
for some ideas, take a look at gamasoftware.com's RPG maker.
I'm using it on a site and the script goes together pretty easily. Easy to add new items and rooms without much trouble via the admin panel.

Chris
11-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Bandwidth costs on these games are high, and advertisers don't like em too much. You basically need to heavily promote some CPA free offers and things like that.

The good news is that bandwidth is dropping in price and advertising rates are on the rise.

moonshield
11-25-2004, 04:56 PM
to do it properly, it looks like one needs to run their own datacenter or something.

Mike
11-26-2004, 01:03 AM
But how would you promote a game like this?

eMEraLdwPn
11-26-2004, 02:11 AM
i started working on a game a few months ago that was pretty complex and original (kind of like risk & civilization & utopia + other new stuff in one), but i realized it was way too complicated for it to be a text-based game... i think i'm going to see if i can figure out how to make it in flash... i find a tutorial at this site: http://www.sephiroth.it/tutorials.php but i haven't really looked at it too much yet. does anyone know anything about making games in flash that use a database?

Emancipator
11-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Andy who did your great city art? I would like to talk to them about doing some city art for mine :)

Cutter
11-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Hey Christ, what MUD are you playing?

I never was much of a MUD fan myself, I've had a few brief stints on a few MUSHes, but it didn't go beyond that. I did play Legend of the Red Dragon on my favoraite BBS for several years, but that doesnt really count ;)

Shade
11-26-2004, 10:03 PM
i took a look at this forum site. http://go-gaia.com/ I was wondering if anyone knew how they did there models and everything in? What language or program?

Emancipator
11-27-2004, 08:11 AM
dhtml would be my guess after a 3 second look. :)

freekrai
11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
i took a look at this forum site. http://go-gaia.com/ I was wondering if anyone knew how they did there models and everything in? What language or program?
They do it in Flash. If you right click on the characters, you can see that's what they used,

Billyray
11-29-2004, 12:02 PM

Hey I know Chris is a Guru and all (I give thanks for the website everyday) but calling him the son of God is a bit much! :p

Sorry it's late.

Chris
11-29-2004, 05:47 PM

I never was much of a MUD fan myself, I've had a few brief stints on a few MUSHes, but it didn't go beyond that. I did play Legend of the Red Dragon on my favoraite BBS for several years, but that doesnt really count ;)
http://www.play.net/gs4/

Dural
12-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Just accidentally ran across this post. Do you still play, Chris?

I've played GS since the AOL days. Still love it.

http://www.play.net/gs4/