PDA

View Full Version : Aws

Mike
11-20-2004, 03:39 PM
I've been looking for a few books lately, and like to read more than just the reviews on amazon. However, that seems hard to do. The internet is swarmed with AWS sites, and a part of me can't wait until google does something about it. I know a lot of us have these sites, but recently I've just realised that they really are spam. They are pushing all the useful sites with reviews down the list, or seem to be doing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the extra money AWS brings in. But as a normal internet user, I cannot stand them.

What does anyone else think?

James
11-20-2004, 04:26 PM
I agree whole-heartedly. Good for us, bad for people who are looking for books, etc.

Westech
11-20-2004, 04:57 PM
This is going to be a huge problem for search engines until they figure out some fair and effective way to filter out duplicate content. Until then, try doing your search, then copying a short, unique phrase from the first AWS result. You can then exclude this phrase from your search with the - operator, thus eliminating all the clone AWS sites.

Example:
"book name" reviews -"sample AWS phrase"

chromate
11-20-2004, 06:24 PM
I totally agree Mike and I've had the same problem loads of times. That's why I haven't made any more since the first batch I done around the start of the year. It's almost an embarrassment owning them now. I'm sure Google will kill them all off before long anyway as they must surely be aware of the problem.

I think I would only create a new one now if it were to supplement an existing site.

moonshield
11-20-2004, 06:48 PM
I just buy off Amazon, they seem to have everything one could need. Them and newegg.

Shawn
11-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Totally agree with you, Mike/Chromate.

Chris
11-20-2004, 08:02 PM
I think Google has done something. This summer results were really clogged, but they seem better now. Most of the searches I was doing were for electronics though not books.

incka
11-21-2004, 03:12 AM
When I search for specific books I hardly ever see AWS sites.

Emancipator
11-21-2004, 07:23 AM
i rarely run into an AWS site looking for books or electronics.

moonshield
11-21-2004, 07:31 AM
yes, come to think of it, I have not seen an AWS in a while.

Mike
11-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Well every site on the first few pages of google was AWS last night for me.

incka
11-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Suppose it depends on what you were searching for. I'm usually searching for novels.

chromate
11-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Maybe we've just been unlucky then Mike :) I've mainly been searching for electronic stuff.

I certainly haven't noticed any drop in traffic, which would be expected if Google had done something. In fact, my aws sites are doing alright.