PDA

View Full Version : New Gmail feature - POP access

Blue Cat Buxton
11-18-2004, 02:08 AM
Fairly new, certainly the first time I have seen it, but you can now access Gmail via POP accounts.

I have been using Gmail more recently for things like link exchanges so this will be handy.

Xander
11-18-2004, 04:47 AM
I'm surprised they offer POP access, but not being a user of Gmail I don't know how the ads work. Are the ads constant in the emails or do they vary? As if you are using POP they would have to be static.

Nice feature either way.

incka
11-18-2004, 05:51 AM
Yes, unless they are somehow including adverts in emails it is surprising.

GMail web-based has just been banned at my school, along with any other free email accounts except ORACLE. Why? I have no idea. At least I can still use POP3/SMTP if I can get outlook to load...

piniyini
11-18-2004, 05:57 AM
I reckon Gmail will never take off - everyone is happy with their email service providers.

Even though they are offering 1 gig and pop access - yahoo and hotmail will reign

Blue Cat Buxton
11-18-2004, 06:14 AM
There are no adverts included - not yet anyway. They may append them at a later date I guess.

Of course using POP you lose some of the Gmail features, threaded messages etc.

As to whether it will take off, the spam control seems very good and the interface is far far far less intrusive than Hotmail

Chris
11-18-2004, 08:09 AM
They have about a million users already, I'd say taking off already happened.

MarkB
11-18-2004, 08:22 AM
I was about to say the same thing :)

Providing GMail doesn't get bloated, then I think it'll knock Hotmail and Yahoo etc for six.

moonshield
11-18-2004, 01:56 PM
yes, Gmail... All my friends and family have switched.

Xander
11-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Its funny but I wouldn't touch Gmail with a barge pole. But I still find their strategy interesting with the invite thing, it was just really a slower launch(as any can get an account its just via someone else).

ozgression
11-18-2004, 03:16 PM
They have about a million users already, I'd say taking off already happened.

That may be true, but how many people actively use their gmail accounts? I have one and I haven't touched it since i got it.

Cheers...
________
roor bong pictures (http://roorbongs.org)

moonshield
11-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Its funny but I wouldn't touch Gmail with a barge pole.

Thats interesting... and why is that?

fonzerelli_79
11-18-2004, 09:26 PM
im the same - the main reason being that most of my friends log onto messenger as do i, and i like the fact that it pops up with a message when i have a new email....2mb of storage sucks though

incka
11-18-2004, 11:47 PM
I don't use it much, just for backups and getting important emails cced to.