PDA

View Full Version : First Car

AndyH
11-13-2004, 04:32 AM
Ok, well I am going to be buying my first car soon. I have my on either a 1996 Skyline R33 (turbo), 2000 WRX (turbo), 1997 Supra (Twin Turbo). Full compulsory insurance for me would be, in order: $2,500, $2,900, $3,500.

All around around the price range of $23,000 AUD.

Now, do you think I should go for a higher performance car for my first, with everyone saying I will crash it, or should I just get an O.K car that I can learn on for 6 months?

In any case, I am going to be taking an advanced driving course . :)

incka
11-13-2004, 04:34 AM
Get a less powerful but easier to drive one then in 6 months sell it and get a more powerful one I think. At least that is what I would do.

AndyH
11-13-2004, 04:38 AM
It is not about ease to drive. It is more about the price to buy and insure it with the odds showing that there is a high chance I will crash.

But I do think getting a car like my friends have would be fine for 6 months, and will only be $3,000.

Billyray
11-13-2004, 06:20 AM
Mate, anyone that cares about you would recommend getting an ordinary car first. Listen to your friends and family.

Anyway, the insurance should be cheaper after 12 months as your rating should come down (I think). I reckon 6 mths is too short a time anyway.

The time spent learning will fly past and you won't regret it.

Just my 2c.

Westech
11-13-2004, 08:27 AM
In my experience, all new drivers (myself included) have at least one wreck as they're learning. I say go with a cheap car to learn in and possibly bang up, then once you're more comfortable driving get the expensive one.

moonshield
11-13-2004, 08:34 AM
go with the wrx. Cant go wrong with that

moonshield
11-13-2004, 08:35 AM
or you could get like a 1995 BMW M3. That would be fun. Those are in that price range sub 20,000

moonshield
11-13-2004, 08:36 AM
I have never gotten in a wreck. I have been driving for a year

moonshield
11-13-2004, 09:28 AM
In my experience, all new drivers (myself included) have at least one wreck as they're learning. I say go with a cheap car to learn in and possibly bang up, then once you're more comfortable driving get the expensive one.

I dont know about that. One of my friends has had a 2002 M3 for 2 years and never has crashed, another has a modded Lancer EVO that is extremely fast. Never wrecked. None of my friends have ever wrecked.

The thing about a more performance oriented car is that it is also easier to avoid an accident. My 3 series has much better handling then a civic.

That my opinion on cars.

Billyray
11-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Learning to drive - takes a week or so
Learning to drive in traffic - takes years
Avoiding idiot drivers - takes a lifetime (there is a new crop every year)

Forget the WRX or M3 I want a armoured Humvee with twin 50 cals front and back. I'm not kidding.

Westech
11-13-2004, 09:39 AM
I dont know about that. One of my friends has had a 2002 M3 for 2 years and never has crashed, another has a modded Lancer EVO that is extremely fast. Never wrecked. None of my friends have ever wrecked.

You must have extermely careful (or lucky) friends!

The thing about a more performance oriented car is that it is also easier to avoid an accident. My 3 series has much better handling then a civic.

Very good point. I didn't consider that.

moonshield
11-13-2004, 11:58 AM
see, I dont know how large Tulsa is... but I live in a somewhat large city with horrible traffic. We are bred to drive in heavy traffic. I have no problem driving in traffic at rush hour.

It matters what you are used to. When I first took drivers ed, we were forced upon a major road, several hundred thousand cars a day. One learns quickly.

Xander
11-13-2004, 12:51 PM
I would say go for the cheaper option, for a few reasons. Its always nice to upgrade but you can never go down and have that same feeling, I've been driving for 3-4 years and am on my 4th car(I tend to change them when something expensive is about to go wrong), but its a nice feeling to get a new car/learn how to drive it(each car is different).

No matter how good a driver you are, you can never stop that idiot behind you from crashing into you.

r2d2
11-14-2004, 06:21 AM
I would say definitely get a lower performance car to start with, if you are wanting to buy one of the cars you mentioned then you obviously want to drive fast, and you will end up crashing.

I have crashed two cars now, the first was just a minor traffic accident, but last year I nearly killed myself, spent a week in hospital, and a few of those days in intensive care. I cant imagine what my parents would have gone through, but I can only hope yours dont have to do the same. Buy a more regular car to learn with.

AndyH
11-14-2004, 06:30 AM
Actually no, I don't have any urge to drive fast. Even with a non-performance car you can still easily get up to speeds which could easily kill you if you crash. I would just like a nice sports car. In any case, I have found a non-turbo Skyline ($15,000) and some other non-turbo cars around the same figure which seem promising.

Xander - Well, the only problem I have with crashing is if I make a claim on my insurance it will make it sky rocket when it is already heaps per year (and excess). If someone were to crash into me their insurance pays so it wouldn't be that big of a problem.

Mike
11-14-2004, 07:05 AM
You must be earning a lot Andy ;)

AndyH
11-14-2004, 07:45 AM
You mean, I must get taxed alot. :p ... :mad:

SWD
11-14-2004, 09:51 AM
so you never had a car before and you want to start with such fast cars?

the supra is an amazing car..... but for safeness i guess WRX.

thats what im buying in a year or so

Subaru Impreza WRX Sti ==> 300 hp turbo

moonshield
11-14-2004, 11:20 AM
yes. most people dont get a car for going fast. Eventually you may want to go on the track. Race in the desert or something.

moonshield
11-14-2004, 11:24 AM
get a BMW. A great car. Performance, Handling, Safety, some luxary.

Shawn
11-14-2004, 11:54 AM
You will have the urge to drive fast. I never drove fast when I got my first car at 16.

On my 18th birthday, I went and bought a sports car. Talk about going crazy. It just makes you want to drive fast and wreckless. If you don't have any urge to drive fast -- wait and get a sports car.

moonshield
11-17-2004, 03:01 PM
which sports car was that?

AndyH
11-17-2004, 06:10 PM
An update on this ... I am now looking at getting a black BMW coupe.

Dan
11-17-2004, 09:22 PM
The Rex is AWD, so safety wise its proberly the best decision and its a good car also. For performance you can't beat the TT rotary Supra.

I'm more of a Mitsubishi man though :D

Andy where abouts in Australia are you, If your in Perth, I might seeya driving around :cool:

AndyH
11-17-2004, 09:38 PM
WRX is too much to insure. I could, but it just isn't worth it. Supra, costs more and costs more to insure.

I just went out for another look and there is no BMWs for what I want to spend, in black.

I am now looking at a non turbo Skyline - cheaper, cheaper to install and still nice.

Dan - East coast ... you might if I go for a massive road trip ;).

Dan
11-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Yeah thats the problem with Turbos, just cos they've got a turbo means the insurance skyrockets, esspecially for young drivers. I just came off my P's, but I did my insurance through my Dads insurance policy and listed me as a secondary driver for my car so its lots cheaper. I've got a non turbo V6 so its not too bad

Skyline would be sweet! :cool:

and hey the east and west aren't that far away esspecially with a skyline :D

AndyH
11-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Turbo can also be dangerous. Blow up and it would cost alot to fix, turbo quicks in the wet unexpectedly and you lose control ... I don't even need turbo.

I might try to put me on my Dads, don't think it will work as he already has my sister on it and I will be moving out very soon.

Hopefully i'll save about $5,000 which will be the difference between a non turbo and a turbo (or BMW) and spend it on a body kit and audio system.

moonshield
11-18-2004, 01:50 PM
woah, is Australia expensive to live in or something? A 2001 BMW 325i here is like $20,000 negoatiable down to $18,000.

Xander
11-18-2004, 02:26 PM
thepoorman: I think AndyH was referring to Aussie Dollars(Aus$). But cars do very, some countries have small cars industries(and small 2nd sales).

ozgression
11-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Andy, why don't you get a good old Commodore for your first car? My first car was a VK Commodore and it did alright.

Cheers...
________
ipod games (http://macgame.org)

moonshield
11-18-2004, 03:38 PM
cars seem to be realtivily less expensive in the US...is it just because of the industry or is it taxes also? Fuel is also only $30 a tank, I hear in Europe it is like $70.

ozgression
11-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Yes, there are taxes like stamp duty and GST to pay in Australia. Fuel is also expensive here, upto about $1.10 per litre (again, due to a fuel tax and gst).

Cheers...
________
drug testing kit (http://drugtestingkit.org)

moonshield
11-18-2004, 03:47 PM
holy crap! $7 US for a gallon... that is a hell of a lot. People are complaining here that it is $1.87 a gallon.

ozgression
11-18-2004, 04:56 PM
There are 4 litres to a gallon, so it would be roughly $4.40AUD per gallon.

That converts to around $3.40USD per gallon.
________
Chevrolet Brookwood specifications (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Brookwood)

r2d2
11-18-2004, 05:29 PM
~$7 a gallon in UK :(

Xander
11-19-2004, 03:56 AM
~$7 a gallon in UK :(

And it keeps trying to go up, can really dent the pocket filling up.

r2d2
11-19-2004, 05:33 AM
Indeed, travelling a lot at the moment, spending about $180 a month on petrol :(

incka
11-19-2004, 06:22 AM
Use vegetable oil instead of petrol.

Blue Cat Buxton
11-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Use vegetable oil instead of petrol.

vegetable oil must be about the same price per litre as petrol

incka
11-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Your thinking of the fancy brand stuff, you can get some really cheap stuff... Problem is even though it's carbon neutral you have to pay fuel emission tax...

From http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/qshowmuch.html:

New, fresh oil will cost around 37p/litre in the supermarkets - go for the cheapest as it's usually rapeseed oil and that is grown in the UK. Vegetable oil bought in bulk will normally cost about 40p/litre delivered to your door in 20 litre containers. Waste vegetable oil costs about 10p/litre delivered but this needs to be filtered before you can use it. It's possible to buy cleaned filtered waste oil which is the best of both worlds for about 25p/litre. Contacts for bulk oil available on request.

Sadly tax is about 40p a litre at present. But 40+25 is lower than the prices of normal petrol

Blue Cat Buxton
11-19-2004, 09:52 AM
go for the cheapest as it's usually rapeseed oil and that is grown in the UK.

but i bet the chips taste really horrible when cooked in it :D

What you need is a multi purpose fuel - cook n' go - think it would catch on?

r2d2
11-19-2004, 09:54 AM
And how much would the complete engine rebuild be after about 100 miles?? I remember seeing this on Top Gear I think, only really works for diesels?

Besides, Id look like a right monkey buying 50 bottles of veg oil in the supermarket, then tipping it in my car :D

moonshield
11-19-2004, 01:41 PM
hehe, yes lets make the vegetable oil companies billionaires.