PDA

View Full Version : I just backordered a domain anything else i can do ?

s2kinteg916
11-09-2004, 07:22 AM
I just backordered a domain anything else i can do ?

i did it on Pool.com and Snapnames.com I really want to get this name all i did was the basic backorder.

s2kinteg916
11-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Well it looks like pool snapped it up .. now we are in a auction system ? do u guys have any tips ?

Kyle
11-17-2004, 11:21 PM
Phase 1 has you bid a given amount. Other people are bidding also, you just can't see their bids. I don't remember exactly, but it's something liike the top 2 bidders... or the top 10% of the bids go into phase 2.

Phase 2 is a normal auction where you can see the highest bid. Phase 2 lasts 1 or 2 days.

chromate
11-18-2004, 05:19 AM
Not sure about the exact bidding process on Pool. Once it goes to normal bidding though, leave it until the last couple of minutes and then strike with a killer bid. otherwise you'll keep needlessly pushing the price up. However, remember that it's quite likely that the other guy will do the same.

s2kinteg916
11-26-2004, 09:35 AM
so far pool is 2for2 for the domains i wanted... pretty awesome...

Kyle
11-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Here are some more details on Pool, and what is very annoying about them.

If you backorder a domain with Pool, and they get it, it enters Phase 1. Phase 1 lasts for about 2 days and all the people who backorder the domain send in blind bids. Basically, you submit what you are willing to pay for it, but you have no idea whether you're the highest bidder or not. The top 20% of the bidders enter in to Phase 2.

Let me use an example to explain this better. Lets say JohnsJewelry.com drops, and you REALLY want it. Now this domain isn't that special, so you are likely the only person who back orders it. When Pool grabs JohnsJewelry.com and enters Phase 1, what are you supposed to do? You are forced to either risk it and leave the default bid of $60, or maybe offer $200 if thats how much you're willing to pay. So lets say you decided to enter $200 because you wanted to make sure your bid would enter Phase 2.

When Phase 2 starts, the opening bid is set at whoever was the highest bidder in phase 1. In this case, it would be $200. In the end, you are forced to pay the $200 eventhough no one else was ever really interested in the domain.

It's a bunch of bull**** especially for unpopular domains that are very valuable to you, but not others.

moonshield
11-26-2004, 01:09 PM
it looks like it favors the auction company or whoever is selling it. Genius.