PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?

jonnyhilfiger
11-03-2004, 04:01 AM
Hi all,

Would like to pick your collective brains!

One of my sites, www.purpleads.com only has 14 pages indexed in google, these are the main pages which make up the site which is an automotive classifieds site.

Now I want to get many more pages indexed to give the site more chance of being found in the search engines. I'll be adding more and more content in the future to help with this but for now I want to see if I can 'open up' the actual adverts to see if this will help.

To this end if you go to the site you will see that I've added 'Quick Links' at the bottom of the page which will bring back search results for makes of cars and bikes (no bike adverts as yet)

Will this work do you think? The quick links bring back all the cars currently advertised for a particular make and then there is a link to each advert (and each page if there are more than 10)

It's only been a week since I implemented this so early days but nudda in Google as yet.

Would it help if I was to cloak the URL's somehow so that instead of the great long search string in the URL it was something like /fordsforsale.php /porschesforsale.php etc

Would be grateful for your thoughts.

Regards, John

jonnyhilfiger
11-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Bump. Anyone?

Blue Cat Buxton
11-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Looks kinda spammy.Not saying it is, just looks like keyword stuffing.

Are the links SE friendly with the ? in ? Not sur google will index them so you probably want to change them

It seems that the link just changes the make number. Possibly better to write a revised search script and pass it the make of car / bike in a search engine friendly format ie searchbike/triumph and have the searchbike script go through an array to get the make variable

jonnyhilfiger
11-05-2004, 01:26 PM
I guess it does look spammy but they are legitimate links to the adverts. I'm thinking the URL might be too long anyway for Google so I'm thinking a better way would be to script it so that the URL is something like 'fordsforsale.php' and the title of the page gets called something like 'Used Fords for sale at PurpleAds.com' etc.

If these pages got indexed then maybe the ads themselves would get crawled as well (will have to think about title pages in them as well and handle ads that have been indexed but no longer exist).

Oh well, all a good learning curve,

Cheers, John

jonnyhilfiger
11-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Just a quick update...

Using some programming in modrewrite and some other funky stuff the links now show as [makes]-used-cars-for-sale.php and titles of the pages show the makes accordingly as well.

They have already been indexed by Google so have gone from 14 pages to 213 pages. Next is to get the adverts themselves indexed and then some quality content to go with the classified ads.

Baby steps and all that.

Cheers, John

Cutter
11-23-2004, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't consider this spam.