PDA

View Full Version : Time management

thebillionaire
11-02-2004, 05:48 PM
I really need help guys, I have poor time management skills, I'm always scrambling to finish my homework, never have time to work on my website or much. Any advice or site that can help me?

r2d2
11-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Make a list of things that need doing.

Prioritise them.

Do them one at a time.

Dont get distracted.

May seem obvious, but having items on paper can really help you focus. Do the most important things first. And remember: checking your stats is always at the bottom of the list :)

AndyH
11-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Yup, make a list.

For my newest project I have made a list that is ordered by priority of the task - in this case, some things depend on others so the structual things are done first.

While you go along just tick each one off.

abelony
11-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Since I have a full time job, I have problems managing the 3 hours every night I use for web stuff.
One thing I have come in terms with is that I have to finish the current project before I move on. I have tried mixing projects but it just created more headaches. By the time I was done with something I had already forgotten how I did the other thing and would have to spend time trying to refresh myself. r2d2's advice is right on.

chrispian
11-02-2004, 07:32 PM
1. Turn of "chat" programs like ICQ, AIM.
2. Answer email at designated times, not when it happens. Set aside time and make it a task on your list.
3. Make small lists that you can actually get done. I use 3x5 index cards. If it won't fit on one there is slim chance I'll get to it. I keep a longer list of "action items" but my active to-do list is on my 3x5.
4. When planning your to do list leave a little wiggle room for things that "come up".
5. Like with email, set aside times to browse forums, or do it when your taking a break.

Those are some of the things I do to help me keep focused. I have ADD an these things help. I still get distracted and lose motivation from time to time, but having a daily schedule helps me get done. I still don't do as much as I could be doing. I could probably do twice as much, if not more, without breaking a sweat. I just get distracted very easily. ;)

s2kinteg916
11-02-2004, 08:38 PM
i use to have the same problem but i just started with a notebook and dry eraser board.... i use the notebook for website idea's and plans... and i use to dry eraser board when i have to get task done on a particular site....

it reminds me that im lazy and need to get it done..

Mike
11-03-2004, 01:01 AM
I've had the same problem this year, I've had so much homework and coursework to do I just don't have enough time as I used to have.

chromate
11-03-2004, 06:38 AM
i use to have the same problem but i just started with a notebook and dry eraser board.... i use the notebook for website idea's and plans... and i use to dry eraser board when i have to get task done on a particular site....

it reminds me that im lazy and need to get it done..

I use a dry board too. It's really handy. Though, even then I get distracted and start drawing pictures on it :)

s2kinteg916
11-03-2004, 09:31 AM
LOL i think it works well though... Just dont lose your marker and ur set...

moonshield
11-03-2004, 01:47 PM
To manage my time...

I plan out the month ahead of time on a monthly calendar. I plan when a specific article is due and then I do it. I like to visit realtor.com on my free time, to remeber what my goals are.

I dont visit forums when Im trying to get stuff done. Posting takes up a lot of time!

James
11-03-2004, 02:07 PM
I've also got time management problems. Too much time doing things, not enough cleaning up after I'm done with them.

thebillionaire
11-03-2004, 06:42 PM
The problem with me is that actually doing the work, why am I so lazy; I rather play than do any homework.

James
11-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Then definitely work on getting a set time for homework. Have an alarm go off. Have a TV on in the background while doing it if need be--probably want just the news or something you'd often watch only if really really really bored.

paulfitz
11-05-2004, 08:26 PM
And remember: checking your stats is always at the bottom of the list :)

LOL!

SO true, I have statsitis. I check stats on a couple of sites I have just started about 4-6 times a day :S

A complete waste of time. Much better spent actually developing new sites and creating content! Checking once a day is easily enough.

Westech
11-05-2004, 09:06 PM
lol @ statsitis. I have a bad case of this, but I never knew what to call it. Lately I've caught myself compulsively switching back and forth and refreshing several sites' stats and my ad network stats. It's a huge waste of time when I can just check them once or twice a day and get the same info, but I just can't help myself.

James
11-06-2004, 01:40 AM
If I could view my stats in real time, I'd just sit there all day. ;)

Blue Cat Buxton
11-06-2004, 06:48 AM
If I could view my stats in real time, I'd just sit there all day. ;)

You haven't seen Visitorville.com (http://www.visitorville.com/) then - you'd never get any sleep either :D

moonshield
11-06-2004, 08:18 AM
yeah, viewing stats in real time would be fun... especially if it were a busy site.

Cutter
11-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Besides writing down what do do, write down what you did. This was you can see what tasks take up the most time vs. the results they give you.

moonshield
11-06-2004, 03:30 PM
interesting, i may use that tip myself. Lets see what I have I done today, hmmm... i better do something!

James
11-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Actually, Blue Cat, I've seen it mentioned 8 seperate times in forums. I'm just lucky I'm too cheap to get it ;)

Todd W
11-06-2004, 05:11 PM
1. Turn of "chat" programs like ICQ, AIM.
2. Answer email at designated times, not when it happens. Set aside time and make it a task on your list.
3. Make small lists that you can actually get done. I use 3x5 index cards. If it won't fit on one there is slim chance I'll get to it. I keep a longer list of "action items" but my active to-do list is on my 3x5.
4. When planning your to do list leave a little wiggle room for things that "come up".
5. Like with email, set aside times to browse forums, or do it when your taking a break.

Those are some of the things I do to help me keep focused. I have ADD an these things help. I still get distracted and lose motivation from time to time, but having a daily schedule helps me get done. I still don't do as much as I could be doing. I could probably do twice as much, if not more, without breaking a sweat. I just get distracted very easily. ;)

Well said! I agree 100% it's not that I don't want to work 10hrs I do!! It's that I get bored and have to go do somethign else.. TV, movie, food, start another project, bounce around between stats, forums etc.. I am motivated I just get bored and distracted EASY!!!!

thebillionaire
11-06-2004, 07:09 PM
You haven't seen Visitorville.com (http://www.visitorville.com/) then - you'd never get any sleep either :D

If it wasn't so expensive I would use it.

paulfitz
11-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Chris has some great ideas - I've got a few of those techniques working well. Another cool technique I've been doing recently is when I'm too distracted to work is brainstorming extensions for new and existing sites using 'mind-mapping'.

A piece of A4 with the sites name in the middle and then a lines going in all directions going to related ideas and then more lines coming from those ideas.

Ie. vampirestomb ------ seo ------ fix that title tag issue
vampirestomb ------ seo ------ mod_rewrite that search page properly

so it ends up looking like a spider web or veins on a leaf. Helps get the ideas on paper and then usually a burst of activity follows where I get excited and try to finish one branch ;) This dude invented it apparently - http://www.mind-map.com/EN/index.html

I just googled it and theres software for it ;) Now that would be useful.

EDIT: and firefox helps increase productivity I swear. I have all of my stats pages in one folder so click 'open in tabs' and do the stats thing. Same goes for forums, work related pages, news pages I need to update daily and blogs. Helps get through the daily tasks in sequential order.

Tim
11-08-2004, 11:52 AM
I spend 1.5 - 2.0 hrs every day on my way home > work > university > work > home
I'm used to think on what I've done, what I have to do, in what priorities, and finally, when I'm going to do that during that time.

I make decisions on what's next - and follow my decision.

moonshield
11-08-2004, 02:14 PM
yes, while driving is a good time to make plans. I do it all the time. I make plans to make plans.