PDA

View Full Version : copyright question

s2kinteg916
10-30-2004, 12:05 AM
lets say i wanted to make a website about nokia phones and i was able to get

nokiareviews.com

i would promote and and try to sell nokia phones on the website. Would nokia allow this ? is this against the law ? Can someone give me the details...

James
10-30-2004, 12:39 AM
They could take the domain name, I believe. You could, however, drop them an email or snail mail to ask them if you could use the domain name.

Xander
10-30-2004, 02:23 AM
I don't believe, in that case, that Nokia would not allow it. The site is not trying to be Nokia or damaging to it(I assume). Don't see a reason that they could take it from you.

James
10-30-2004, 02:26 AM
MikeRoweSoft is a prime example of a reason they could take it from you. You're trying, if even just slightly, to be Nokia if it's in your URL.

I suggest you consult a lawyer or someone of the sort, because I'm not one, though.

AndyH
10-30-2004, 04:32 AM
Considering that you are trying to get Nokia more business (that is assuming that the reviews are favourable to them) then they shouldn't have a problem with it.

May be an idea to add a sentance or two at the bottom making it clear you have no connection with Nokia.

While it relates, PayPalSucks.com is still up and running which is the same as what you are doing, but giving PayPal a bad reputation.

Personally, I would go ahead and do it (risk it?) if it were worth it.

James
10-30-2004, 04:25 PM
And I think that because you're just reviewing their products, you'd be able to use images of their products as fair use--thin line with this though because it's what the judge thinks, rather than hard facts.

moonshield
10-30-2004, 05:10 PM
i dont think you should have too much of a problem. Nokia would probably like the additional free advertising. I would state that you are not affiliated with Nokia.

Cutter
10-31-2004, 05:45 PM
I am not a legal expert, but I have seen this come up before. I believe having "nokiareviews" is ok, however "nokiaphones" is not. You have a "review" site; you are not trying to pass yourself off as nokia.

Will they send you a cease and desist letter? Quite possibly. Will it stand up in court, or will they even take it to court? You need to ask an IP lawyer or talk to someone who owns similar domains. Otherwise, I'm 90% sure that my first paragraph is right.

s2kinteg916
11-05-2004, 08:37 AM
I readup on it at namepros.com .. and alot of people advise against it and it stirs up more trouble than its worth so i decided against it..