PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have an Accountant?

RockNRollPig
10-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Just wondering who uses and accountant. And at what point did you decide it was a good idea? I'm debating on getting one to keep up with everything but just wondering if it's worth it.

Westech
10-29-2004, 10:25 AM
I guess I'm lucky because my father-in-law is an accountant and does my taxes in exchange for occasional computer help. I think I'd still pay to have them done if I had to.

I keep my own records, and just drop off a summary of expenses and earnings at tax time every year. A few days later, my state and federal taxes have been filed and a copy of the forms is in my mailbox.

I think it's worth it to pay a small amount to have your taxes filed correctly every year, but I wouldn't pay someone to keep my books all year unless my business was very large or complicated. If you incorporate, form an LLC, or have employees on your payroll, then it's probably time to enlist an accountant.

lorien1973
10-29-2004, 10:44 AM
I only have one for taxes at the end of the year. For most small businesses accountants are not necessary; as only the bank balance really matters and the quarterly tax bills (sales tax etc which are easy to figure out).

moonshield
10-29-2004, 12:57 PM
there are two keys to success.
1. A good lawyer
2. A Skilled Accountant
With these two you will go far

paul
10-29-2004, 01:49 PM
I don't see an accountant so much for keeping the books as I do for tax planning. For example, should I file a schedule C this year or is it time to form an LLC? Often they can offer useful suggestions for how/when to do purchases to minimize the tax bite.

Chris
10-29-2004, 04:16 PM
I keep my own records and have an accountant do my taxes/give me advice.