PDA

View Full Version : Pessimistic about website publishing...

incka
10-26-2004, 01:57 PM
I've been doing this a year now, and I am beginning to doubt I can ever make as much as Chris does... :mad:

moonshield
10-26-2004, 02:02 PM
are things not going well?

incka
10-26-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm making money, but not enough to live conforatably on if I didn't live with my parents...

Xander
10-26-2004, 03:00 PM
I would say don't worry, but if you are its pointless for me to say. How diverse are you in terms of ways of income? Maybe you aren't exploring the income avenue that is right for you? From your other posts it sounds like you are doing well? There are a lot of options on the internet, most people tend to keep quiet about them.

moonshield
10-26-2004, 03:12 PM
only one year? Sounds like a pretty good year to me...

You probably make a hell of a lot more then most kids your age or even my age... For someone in school, your making some good cash.

Time is required in any business. For a business to be profitable in the first year is a feat that many businesses never achieve.

Growth takes time. Just Diversify and keep the current sites updated. Money will come soon enough.

Jaffro
10-26-2004, 03:22 PM
incka, get some sticking power man you've got ages before you finish education. If you consider the ammount you've done in the past year, and then multiply it by the number of years left before you might have to move out, where's your income then? I bet it will be damn high.

xander wont say it so i will. dont worry! :) there's a hell of a lot of things that will just take time, keep working at it and you'll do very very well - you've got talent man.

r2d2
10-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Dont you think everyone would be doing it if it took less than a year to learn everything, and get a decent salary sized income going?

The pessimist sees difficulty in opportunity, the optimist sees opportunity in difficulty.

Only the optimists will battle on through and make it to the top. Pessimists will give up somewhere along the line and waste all their hard work. Which are you?

moonshield
10-26-2004, 03:41 PM
quite philosophic are we r2d2... yet I agree. I am a very optimistic person and more then once in my life that optimism has brought me through to success. Optimism is a key to success. Optimism, Confidence, and Vision are the keys to success.

Look at all the successful people today... Steve Jobs, Gates, Ellison... They all had a vision and that vision was achieved for themselves.

I do not think success is possible without a vision. One will never know when success has been realized.

the only thing I worry about today is, in a few years, when I am not thepoorman... will i have to create a new user and give up all my posts?

r2d2
10-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Depending on how 'unpoor' you are, you could just make an offer for the forum Chris couldnt refuse, then change your name :)

moonshield
10-26-2004, 05:27 PM
wouldn't it be fun to be able to make offers that people 'couldn't refuse'... I think it would be great :)

James
10-26-2004, 05:35 PM
You're doing fantastic, and don't let anything bring you down.
If anyone should be *****ing, it should be me.

Diversify your site categories, make a few more sites and try and focus on more profitable topics rather than jokes sites and gaming sites.

thebillionaire
10-26-2004, 06:31 PM
I've been doing this a year now, and I am beginning to doubt I can ever make as much as Chris does... :mad:

Well, you have to choices Quit and get nothing done, or keep going and hope to improve. Its your choice. Choose the right one!

incka
10-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Of course I'm going to carry on - At my age there are no other businesses I can go into, I'm just saying it not going to be easy to be able to afford a castle in mountains, etc...

Xander
10-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Of course I'm going to carry on - At my age there are no other businesses I can go into, I'm just saying it not going to be easy to be able to afford a castle in mountains, etc...

A year, while feeling like a long time, is not a very long period of time. Remember Chris hasn't bought his castle in the mountains yet, so it takes take time!

You've got a good head start on the majority of people, most would kill for that. How self sufficient are your websites, i.e. if you didn't work on them for a week would they still make good income? I think thats a key question.

incka
10-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Looking at what the link exchanges I've done in the last 3 days have got me in the SERPs I think this still can be very profitable...

michael_gersitz
10-27-2004, 02:03 PM
I think about that too sometimes. By playing poker I can make 3 times as much as I do at my full time job, and all my websites combined in just around 3 hours. (oh, that is weekly)

3 hours of playing poker gets me more than a full weeks pay and all my internet site income.

Kinda makes me think about my career choice.

michael_gersitz
10-27-2004, 02:06 PM
I have won 15 straight consecuative tournements, and have been up every day for the past week and a half. Figure it out.

Alot easier and Funner that building websites.

moonshield
10-27-2004, 02:16 PM
really... when play I poker all I do is lose money, usually money I dont have :)

r2d2
10-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Might want to rephrase that slightly :)

I have had some good winning sessions at poker recently. Must have won at least $3. All you can expect from 20c games though :)

jbiggs77
10-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Michael, what site do you play on? I was playing on party poker for a couple weeks, made a few hundred bucks. I played in a few tourneys on there as well but never won, just curious as to where you had won 15 in a row at.

incka
10-28-2004, 01:33 AM
I don't believe any of you poker players.

I have three poker playing friends: Shawn Weeks; Dave from Vancouver & Michael Gersitz. You all claim you win nearly every game you play. Somehow the statistics are against all of you being truthful...

Xander
10-28-2004, 01:42 AM
I have three poker playing friends: Shawn Weeks; Dave from Vancouver & Michael Gersitz. You all claim you win nearly every game you play. Somehow the statistics are against all of you being truthful...

Well 'they' do say bluffing(lying?) is important to playing poker, you don't get to use it much online so they have to use it somewhere :D (j/k)

moonshield
10-28-2004, 06:06 AM
where do you all play poker online?

incka
10-28-2004, 06:55 AM
Michael plays on Poker Room, Shawn Weeks play on one of the smaller ones and Dave plays in Richmond

KeithMcL
10-28-2004, 07:20 AM
If you want to play poker online check out paradisepoker.com :) I play it, but not for real money :D

Shawn
10-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Shawn Weeks plays on the biggest, most popular poker site in the World.

Another example of Sean knowing absolutely nothing :).

For the last two years, Greg Raymer and Chris Moneymaker (WSOP champions) qualified online at the site that I play at -- www.pokerstars.com.

My winnings no way near come toward my other income, but I still profit a few hundred a week from gambling in sit & go tournaments.

Shawn
10-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Michael, come play at PokerStars. Always more people than PokerRoom (by at least 2x, currently over 21,000 people online here), more tournaments, higher staked games, etc.

eMEraLdwPn
10-28-2004, 10:37 PM
i played at pokerstars for a long time, only with play money though... but once i started playing in real games with my friends, playing online just wasn't as much fun...

Shawn
10-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Yes, it is. Most friends can't afford $105+$9 tournaments :)

MarkB
10-29-2004, 01:03 AM
I can't even win solitaire :p

incka
10-29-2004, 03:07 AM
In solitaire you just keep the program up for 30 seconds and it comes up with a 'You've Won!' alert message.

eMEraLdwPn
10-29-2004, 06:47 AM
i can't afford $105+$9 tournaments either :p

incka
10-29-2004, 07:17 AM
I wouldn't want to gamble unless I was an expert at card counting.

r2d2
10-29-2004, 07:48 AM
I bought card-counting.net ages ago, but havent done anything with it yet :)

eMEraLdwPn
10-29-2004, 08:46 AM
counting cards doesn't work in texas hold'em (i'm assuming that's what we all play)

r2d2
10-29-2004, 09:05 AM
No I guess not, but I think you can raise it from 0.5 to 2% in their favour to x% in your favour if you can do it well. That might be blackjack though. (Its been a while since I was looking at card counting :) )

moonshield
10-29-2004, 01:05 PM
i play texas and omaha(sp?).

moonshield
10-29-2004, 01:10 PM
the strategy for winning in Texas is just bet on and on and on. I dont do this, but my friends play $50+ hands. One of my friends bluffs the whole way and makes over 300 a day on poker. That is basically his job. There is probably several thousand floating around 4 of my friends. I dont play poker with them though. I usually do a cash in cash out with like $5.

Shawn
10-29-2004, 03:41 PM
I only play no limit hold em. Mainly sit & go tournaments ($15+$1 or $25+$2).

Last night though I played a huge tournament with about 500 people in it with a $12 buy-in -- I placed 3rd and won $494.

It's definitely some good spending money.

moonshield
10-29-2004, 04:10 PM
no limit can get mighty high when the players have deep pockets.

Mike
10-31-2004, 03:26 AM
Looking at what the link exchanges I've done in the last 3 days have got me in the SERPs I think this still can be very profitable...

I take it thats from the link exchange thread you posted here?

incka
10-31-2004, 07:00 AM
No, from linkmarket.net.

michael_gersitz
11-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Michael, come play at PokerStars. Always more people than PokerRoom (by at least 2x, currently over 21,000 people online here), more tournaments, higher staked games, etc.

I do have an account there, however I like the interface at pokerroom, and I like all the fish at party. So I play there... If you stick to a solid strategy, then you have an edge. The odds favor you.

Shawn, what is your sn?

michael_gersitz
11-01-2004, 03:43 PM
I only play no limit hold em. Mainly sit & go tournaments ($15+$1 or $25+$2).

Last night though I played a huge tournament with about 500 people in it with a $12 buy-in -- I placed 3rd and won $494.

It's definitely some good spending money.

I ussually place in about 3 out of every 7 tournements...

Got 2nd recently in the plus$500 at pokerroom...