PDA

View Full Version : Couple of AWS questions

r2d2
10-25-2004, 04:22 PM
I am looking at doing a UK AWS site, so am I right in thinking I need to register with amazon.co.uk separately?

I currently have an Associates ID for amazon.com, which I got when I joined in March this year. Should I 'upgrade' to a subscription ID? What happens to my associates account?

The other one was the fee structure. By the looks of it you would be mad to choose the classic one? 4% + upto 2.5% for classic or 5% - 8% + upto 2.5% for performance. I cant see why you would choose classic, or would your premium bit be lower if you are on the performance?

r2d2
10-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Having had a further look, you apparently can use the same subscription ID for all the ECS (formerly AWS) services.

r2d2
10-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Hmmm..

To begin using AWS directly, you will need to obtain a developer token that works for all countries and an Associates ID for each country from which you wish to retrieve Amazon product data.

No--you can use the same Subscription ID (or developer token for ECS 3.0) for Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, and Amazon.co.jp.

I guess with the new system its now 1 for all. Though I am currently getting UK data using AWS 3 and my Associate ID...

I think I will get a subscription ID and start afresh with a new AWS library for AWS 4.

Nintendo
10-25-2004, 09:38 PM
You only need an associate ID. The subscription ID is only for if you make your own script. You have to register with each DOTcountry you join.

r2d2
10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Ok cheers Nintendo.

What about the fee structure. Am I missing something thinking it would be silly to go for classic?

r2d2
10-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Any takers? I have just been reading the FAQs and cant see any advantage in choosing classic fee structure? What does everyone else use?

Chris
10-27-2004, 03:51 PM
There is no reason to choose classic -- they're making it an obvious choice. Likely its a legal thing. The classic one might have been in terms or something so they have to keep it as an option.

r2d2
10-28-2004, 04:42 AM
Ah ok, it did seem a bit strange to me. Cheers Chris.