PDA

View Full Version : My new (and first) ecommerce site ;)

Cloughie
09-11-2003, 04:46 AM
The website is www.atlargenutrition.com

At Large Nutrition is an entirely new sports supplement brand, and our products are unique. It’s the main reason this took a lot of time to get live because we created 4 new products and have stock of all of them.

I have Aspen to thank for the name of the company :)

We have been up for 3 days and have had 5 orders so far, mainly people from my website I assume as I sent around a mass forum email and put a link at the top of the forums.

I plan on doing a lot of promoting things this weekend, banners, links etc within my content site and forums.

For now, how do you like the site? ;)

Look forward to your opinions

Daniel

Chris
09-11-2003, 06:06 AM
change the title to "AtLarge Nutrition - Bodybuilding (Fitness) Supplements" from "atlargenutrition.com"

Use wordtracker.com to find out which is more popular "bodybuilding supplements" or "fitness supplements"

I like the design.

Thats quite a customized OScommerce version too. Right?

Keeping your product links as text links is a good idea.

Change all your home page links (the logo, and the home button) to link to your domain, not index.php

Have you installed the OSCommerce spider killer contribution? It really helps spiders by killing SIDs but they call it spider killer.

When you submit to yahoo, submit the title as "AtLarge Nutrition"

In fact, for every directory you submit to, submit the title like that.

Don't submit it as "AtLargeNutrition" or "AtLargeNutrition.com"

You should link from wbb to it using the words "Bodybuilding Supplements" "Fitness Supplements" or something like that. Use Wordtracker.com to figure out which is more popular.

Add welcome text to your home page.

Check out http://www.cbswords.com Notice I have all that text on my home page. Count the number of times I say the word "swords"

You need to do that for whatever keywords you're going to focus on, fitness or bodybuilding... as said by wordtracker

Then, work on WBB. Write more articles, get more incoming links, submit articles to directories like Zeal, DMOZ, and Yahoo.

Getting listed in this sports directory:
http://sportsvl.com/index.html

Can bring in alot of PR.

As described in this article: http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/content-and-commerce/

Remember, your content site gets the links and the traffic, your commerce site makes the money.

GCT13
09-11-2003, 10:44 AM
"WBB" ?

Very nice design and layout. Did you do all that plus the backend work?

I'd like to see a print this article link.

I'd also like to see bigger / variable size text, because on my screen the text was microscopic and it wouldn't get bigger when I adjusted my browser's Text Size settings. So then I wanted to print the article.... :D

Chris
09-11-2003, 11:00 AM
WannaBeBig -- his other site.

Cloughie
09-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Chris, thanks for your advise, its very helpfull and I will attack the list at the weekend. I

We have a whole load of ideas to integrate all 3 of the sites a lot closer and to give people a reason to buy, I just need to sit down and implement them :)

GCT13, WBB = www.wannabebig.com, plus we have www.wannabebigforums.com also.

Thanks for the print article comment, I think I will go ahead and have a link on each page to print it.

text size could be added, I will check it on some other screens.

Its running from www.oscommerce.com but its fairly customized. I had someone design the front end and also modify the backend to how we wanted it. Took a while ;)

GCT13
09-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Good luck, although I can't load any of your sites at the moment :eek:

(Just realized one of my sites could benefit from a "print this" link and variable/larger text.)

Cloughie
09-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Aspen, Can I ask you a few questions on some of your points?

Keeping your product links as text links is a good idea.

** Are you referring to the links on the product page? Should I make them hyperlinked from the home page too?

Change all your home page links (the logo, and the home button) to link to your domain, not index.php

** Can I ask why this is?

Also can you recheck my title on the home page. Is that what you mean WITH the "" in?

Also what do you suggest for product specific pages?

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

Cloughie
09-16-2003, 12:35 PM
oh also is there an article on how to use wordtracker.com?

Seems a bit wierd to me.

Does anyone pay for the full version?

Cloughie
09-16-2003, 01:34 PM
also can you give me some tips on descriptions for both meta and adding to directories?

I see you use the description - site name format.

Why is that?

Chris
09-16-2003, 01:40 PM
1. Yes on the products page, and putting text links on the homepage too would help.

2. consistency

The title on your homepage is now "OsCommerce" you need to fix that.

I don't pay for the full version of wordtracker - I just use it to find which keywords are popular and then I do my own analysis.

I use article name - sitename or product name - sitename because on your subpages you're optimizing for specific keywords that aren't always in your site's name so you want those specific keywords, which are likely in your product name/ article title first.

Cloughie
09-16-2003, 02:13 PM
thanks.

One more q.

It appears bodybuilding supplements is a more searched for word with a KEI of 20 compared to sports supplements with a 8.something.

However I think sports supplements is more relevant for my business. Its a slightly vauger word but I think that might be better?

Chris
09-16-2003, 02:37 PM
If you're using wordtracker's KEI you're getting bad information.

Wordtracker uses results returned to represent "competition" on their KEI. That is a bad idea because results returned has NOTHING to do with competition.

Take the keyword "1984" for example. Search for it and you'll find something like 15 million pages. How many of those are actually competing on that keyword? How many just happen to mention it?

Thats why I use Google PR to represent competition with my KEIs. That way I can more accurately guage the strength of the competition.

IMO wordtracker is only useful for the first step -- that is getting the raw number of searches.

Cloughie
09-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Thats why I use Google PR to represent competition with my KEIs. That way I can more accurately guage the strength of the competition.

You mean searching on a word and seeing what the top 5 sites are in terms of page rank?

Maybe I should use nutritional sports supplements?

Chris
09-16-2003, 03:50 PM
I would use whatever wordtracker lists as the most popular so long as the top sites don't have PRs of 7 or higher.

GCT13
09-16-2003, 09:46 PM
This is turning into a nice thread about Wordtracker best practices.

Cloughie
09-17-2003, 12:09 AM
I will have a search engine weekend :) GEt my meta's sorted, submit to a load of directories. I guess I have to pay for yahoo though? :(

Then I will do what I have always done. Work on content and they just seem to come :)

Chris
09-17-2003, 05:19 AM
ya you'll have to pay for Yahoo.