PDA

View Full Version : Data that nobody owns..

michael_gersitz
10-16-2004, 08:48 PM
What is the deal with USENET information?
Since nobody owns it, then it can't be copyrighted? :confused:

How come no one has thought of creating huge usenet archives?
There has to be abilliontribillion posts.

Also, anybody know any updated fast news servers that don't charge that much per month? The free servers I am currently using are so lagged, and updates are behind a couple days.

michael_gersitz
10-16-2004, 08:51 PM
The biggest Usenet Archive is google right now? Because they are big enough to host all of it? I am confused.

intelliot
10-17-2004, 12:07 AM
There are already several Usenet archives. I've seen them (don't remember them off the top of my head but try a search if you're interested).

moonshield
10-17-2004, 10:01 AM
what do you want to do with it?

incka
10-17-2004, 10:37 AM
USENET was a bunch of geeks talking in |-|%><|<()R language... It's hardly useful...

moonshield
10-17-2004, 11:36 AM
|-|%><|<()R

Translation please

davesplace1
10-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Usenet information is owned by the writer. All that stuff you see on Usenet is not free to post on your own website. Some Usenet posters take their copyrights very serious. Still you will find people posting stuff they do not have the copyright to.

incka
10-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Haxor or Hacker. A weird language geeks use.

michael_gersitz
10-17-2004, 02:15 PM
How can anysite post it then? If every work is copyrighted by the writer, how can any site publish it?

davesplace1
10-17-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm not a copyright lawyer, but anything you post on a Usenet group can be picked up by any newsserver, that is why you post to a public newsgroup for, and sites like Google just archive the post. But if you copy the post and put it on your site or repost it that would be stealing the poster's writing. Check out some of the newsgroups FAQ. I hope this helps :)

michael_gersitz
10-17-2004, 09:15 PM
What if you create an archive just like google? It is ok to archive the entire newsgroup, but not the posts itselfs?

davesplace1
10-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Far as I know you can archive the newsgroup and the posts, just like Google does, but say you copyed information from a post or an image from Usenet and put it on your site that would be agaist the poster's copyright. Hopely we have someone here on this forum who can explain this more clearly or even a lawyer to weigh in. See 10 Big Myths about copyright explained at http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html