PDA

View Full Version : Need input on Copyright $$ offer

antseezee
10-16-2004, 12:38 PM
I've been writing video game guides for a website in which I submitted them free of charge, for the benefit of fellow gamers. Some of the works have been highly regarded on the site, even receiving input from other authors on various sites (about.com). I've recently been offered $1,000 to hand over the copyright ownership on two of the guides (although I'd still hold author retainership). Apparently, the website I've been submitting the guides to wants to use selected guides from the site, and compile them in an anthology (which I'm assuming will be sold for their own profit). They simply want to purchase the publishing rights on these two guides, for $500 each.

I'm just curious as to whether or not this is something I should accept, or if it's not a smart decision? Any feedback would be respected, whether on the forums, or via e-mail.

moonshield
10-16-2004, 01:35 PM
are you making money from them right now, or will you in the future? If you are making money I wouldnt, but if your site has not made a cent I would go through with the transfer of copyright.

Chris
10-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Generally writers are paid royalties in addition to an upfront fee or advance.
If you could negotiate a reasonable royalty against your upfront fee I'd say it's a good deal.

Basically, it'd be like they must pay you $1 per book sold after 500 books. So you'd be getting $500 per guide as an advance, and a royalty of $0.50 per guide.

antseezee
10-16-2004, 03:08 PM
No, I'm currently not making money off of them, since they were basically submitted as "hobby" papers I typed up, and were posted on a gaming site. I just wanted to make sure it was worth accepting the offer, since it sounded fairly reasonable for not making a cent off of them.

The royalty idea sounds great, however, I'm not the only author contacted about this. Several other FAQ authors on the site (selected guides only) have received the same offer ($500 per). I'm not sure I'm in the best bargaining position because of the simple idea that they can move on to "another" guide writer, with different guides. Granted my works are unique, but both of your input helps greatly.