PDA

View Full Version : My Friends having MSN Messenger problems...

incka
09-09-2003, 11:40 PM
His MSN Messenger keeps logging off, heres a quote from him:

MSN keeps kcikcing me off then letting me back on. I have changed to loads of different versions of MSN and usernames and have evven reinstalled XP, but still the problem persisits.

Can anyone help him?

wrigh_g
09-09-2003, 11:50 PM
I am the guy he is talking about, i will give more details when i get home. (working at the moment). Thanks.

chromate
09-10-2003, 05:03 AM
maybe a bad connection to the internet. Used to happen a lot to me when I was on dial up. Didn't notice it when surfing the web, but on msn I used to get logged off.

incka
09-10-2003, 09:09 AM
Hes got BT Broadband, same as me...

chromate
09-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Still may be his connection though. If he's freshly re-installed, then it's obviously not the software. Must be the hardware somewhere along the line I would think. Wish I could be more help.

wrigh_g
09-10-2003, 03:15 PM
So you mean a faulty phone line connection, or a problem with the modem?

chromate
09-11-2003, 04:26 AM
Could be either. I would guess at the line though if anything.

Does it take exactly the same amount of time each time before you're disconnected? Or is it variable?

Call out an engineer and have them test the quality of your line. You may have a weak signal or something. Worth checking.

Also, just as a second thought... Do you run any sort of firewall? Incorrectly configured firewalls can sometimes do weird things like disconnect you when you least expect it, if you recieve a packet it doesn't like or something similar. If you are running a firewall, try turning it off and see if the same thing happens. If it doesn't then check the the firewall's config.