PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you think about this site?

josh_ervin
10-14-2004, 04:45 PM
So, what do you think about this site? http://www.joshs-free-backgrounds.com Like it? Hate it? Good idea? Bad idea?

Note:
This website isn’t completely finished yet.

Josh

michael_gersitz
10-14-2004, 05:24 PM
tip, if you are going for SEO in your URLs, google cannot read"_" but can read "-".

The New Guy
10-14-2004, 05:39 PM
I remember GoogleGuy said it could do both, and really _ was preferred. Though this info might have changed, I read it along time ago.

josh_ervin
10-14-2004, 05:39 PM
Michael,

I'll take your very useful tip under advisement. I wasn’t aware that Google couldn’t read an underscore but can read a dash. I was going for SEO in my URLs but I was unaware of my mistake. I'll replace the underscores with dashes.

Thanks, I appreciate the tip!

Josh

ozgression
10-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Google can read both.
________
Chrysler RFE transmission specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_RFE_transmission)

Chris
10-14-2004, 05:52 PM
If Google can read both it is new. I actually got in a little mini argument with GoogleGuy about it a while back.

Of course by "read" I'm sure we all mean "parse as a space"

josh_ervin
10-14-2004, 05:53 PM
The New Guy and Ozgression,

You guys just saved me some work.

Thanks,

Josh

josh_ervin
10-14-2004, 05:56 PM
:confused: Ok, I think I'll go ahead and replace the underscores.

Josh

josh_ervin
10-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Ok, let me get this straight. Google can not parse underscores as a space. So, that would mean that I will need to modify all of my image filenames as well since I tried to SEO them too. That's hundreds of file names I'll need change. I better get to work.

Josh

Tim
10-14-2004, 11:14 PM
If Google can read both it is new. I actually got in a little mini argument with GoogleGuy about it a while back.

Of course by "read" I'm sure we all mean "parse as a space"

That's very valuable info. Never knew that. Looks like I've got loads of work to do now...

But is it worth that Chris? Changing file names of a huge load of pages which have some PR.. 1,2,3, .. What's your opinion here?

How valuable are those keyword separations in urls?

Tim
10-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Josh,

Your site is a good idea and may be helpful, but only to the newbie webmasters.
IMO all the rest would leave almost instantly (unfortunately).
If you come up with an idea on how to make this site attractive to both newbies and experienced guys - this site can be a success.

James
10-15-2004, 07:47 AM
Just get an automated program to mass change the file names--there's sure to be one somewhere.

And Google guy did say - is preferred, I believe.

The New Guy
10-15-2004, 09:08 AM
Seems like he has changed his tune. Underscore will NOT be seen as a space.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/23371.htm

Chris
10-15-2004, 09:12 AM
I don't think he ever changed his tune, he's always said that as far as I know.

I don't think its worth it to change existing files though. Rather keep this in mind for new files.

incka
10-15-2004, 10:04 AM
I agree with Chris. Perhaps it is worth paying someone $0.10 per one they change (including doing a .htaccess thing so pr is transfered) but it's not worth doing it yourself.

Tim
10-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your advices Chris and Sean.

Makes my choice easier.
I really didn't want to do that monkey job :)

chromate
10-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Don't pay anyone to do it either. It's easy to do yourself if you have shell access. Though, it's still not worth it if you ask me.

josh_ervin
10-15-2004, 02:21 PM
After I've read the latest posts and considered it I don’t think I will replace the underscores, but I'll keep this info in mind in the future.

Tim,

Amateur webmasters and people wanting to build simple personal homepages is what this website is geared towards. Not professional or semi-professionals web developers/designers. It was never my goal to try and cater to this group and I agree this site has nothing to offer them. A lot of people build personal homepages and the majority of them don’t have a graphics program or even the slightest idea of how to use one but they will definitely want graphics for their webpages. So, that's what this site is all about, providing free backgrounds for people to use on their personal homepages/websites.

Thanks,

Josh

jonnyhilfiger
10-15-2004, 04:09 PM
I must admit this is the first I've heard about not using underscores. It got me worried a bit as a lot of my pages in my kit car sites use them but my pages seem to be getting indexed and ranked in Google (for the Madabout-kitcars.com site anyway)

ozgression
10-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Yes, I honestly don't think _ or - will make a difference.

Personally, I think the whole keyword in the domain stuff is overrated anyway.
________
weed vaporizers (http://weedvaporizers.info/)

Chris
10-15-2004, 05:14 PM
The difference is small to be sure, which is why I don't recommend changing URLs. Just keep it in mind for new URLs.

moonshield
10-15-2004, 06:09 PM
very interesting... would make a good article... I had never heard of this