PDA

View Full Version : Keyword optimising

Blue Cat Buxton
10-11-2004, 02:49 AM
Say I am optomising for a 3 word key phrase, such as blue cheese straws

I get lots of keyword rich liks into page 1, optomised for this phrase, this bit I understand.

Now if I want to optomise a page for the 2 word phrase, "cheese straws" am I better on working on getting inbound "cheese straws" links to page 1, or creating page 2, linking to that from page 1 with the term "cheese straws" and getting new links into page 2?

r2d2
10-11-2004, 04:33 AM
I would say it would be best to have a page 2 optimised for "cheese straws", and work on getting inbound links to it with "cheese straws" link text. I dont see why you would want to intertwine them at all. Keep them both separate. If someone searches for "cheese straws", page 2 should be #1, if they search for "blue cheese straws", page 1 should be #1.

My opinion anyway :)

ozgression
10-11-2004, 05:58 PM
I agree... that's the way I would do it.

Ofcoarse, linking exchanges with another "cheese straws" page on another site couldn't hurt. But I tend to focus PR etc... on the main page.
________
Ford E-Series specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_E-Series)

Chris
10-11-2004, 07:47 PM
But page 1 already has such a nice head start on the term.

For instance I targetted "wilderness survival" with my survival site. I've been #1 and holding for a couple years now (since 01 I think). Getting ranked #1 for survival was much harder, but I did it, with the same page (the homepage), and with no loss with my other ranking.

r2d2
10-12-2004, 12:27 AM
It makes sense though for "wilderness survival" and "survival" to be targetted for the homepage of your site, it covers both those terms. I got the impression from the example that "cheese straws" should probably be a separate page to "blue cheese straws". Perhaps it may be reasonable to target both with the same page?

Blue Cat Buxton
10-12-2004, 01:13 AM
The same page would work for both terms.

My thought on going for a second page would be to spread some of the incoming PR into the site - that way I get to build PR on 2 pages that can themselves help each other.

But then I can see that building overall PR on 1 page should also help both terms.

r2d2
10-12-2004, 04:03 AM
If the same page would work for both terms, I would focus on the one page. Probably better to have a PR6 than 2 PR5s.

Emancipator
10-12-2004, 06:24 AM
i would use the page for both terms.. very doable.. as the other posters mention.