PDA

View Full Version : popups being blocked

eMEraLdwPn
10-07-2004, 10:15 PM
i came up with this script to launch popups that i thought would get around most popup blockers, and reach most users. basically, on the first page that a given visitor views, it tries to load the popup when they enter. IE and firefox are able to block this. if this wasn't successful, it launches when they click anywhere on the page --> this gets past firefox and IE SP2 popup blocker. finally, if these first two methods failed in launching the popup, it tries once more on the exiting of the page, which also gets past firefox and IE popup blocker. despite all this, only about 25% of people are actually seeing this popup - i can't even imagine how the other 75% are avoiding it.... maybe it's something so obvious i'm just neglecting it. regardless, i made this little program that tracks exactly what every visitor does, and it keeps track of whether or not they saw the popup. i threw the stats together on this page: http://www.lyricallysquared.com/tracker.php (and i did it VERY quickly, so beware - it's very ugly :p)... anyway, the people who avoided the popup are listed first, and those who saw it are at the end. if anyone can figure out what the problem is... it would really help me out =)

eMEraLdwPn
10-07-2004, 10:19 PM
oh yeah - one thing i forgot to mention: the popup will only launch if they enter the index page, viewartist, or viewsong page first. now that i think about it, that could be part of the problem :p... but wouldn't account for 75% of people not seeing it...

Chris
10-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Did you test other popup blockers like Google's?

Blue Cat Buxton
10-08-2004, 06:05 AM
When I went to the site to test,
Google toolbar stopped the pu on entry, but not when I clicked on the page.