PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to make $1million?

dolphin
10-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Hi folks,

Just wondering if you guys think this was possbile? Making $1million doing what we're doing, without spamming etc etc.

If so how long do you think it can take? say for someone whos already making $1000/month already. 3 years? 5 years?

incka
10-07-2004, 09:57 AM
1 year if you have a good idea and are a marketting expert.

Chris could easily make $1 million a year in gross income if he made a few more ecommerce sites, in a few years I think Chromate, Michael Gersitz, Andy H, a few other people, and myself could make that much too...

Chris
10-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Are we talking gross or net?

With ecommerce it isn't hard to gross that much. I grossed $120k in December 03 alone. Sean's right, with 1 more ecommerce sites with the same volume as my current one I'd easily pass $1 mil in gross. Right now I think I'm around $500k gross annually (ecommerce).

Profits is another story altogether.

$1 million a year is $3000 a day in profits. If you had a site that made you $1 CPM net and you got 3 million page views per day you'd have it. Thats quite alot of traffic. It would take a long time to build that or you'd need to enter such a general field that the competition would be immense (and $1 CPM net might be too difficult in such a general field).

So your solution would be to build a site that makes as much per visitor as possible. Ecommerce sites can make alot per visitor. Some affiliate sites can as well. Subscription sites can too.

Emancipator
10-07-2004, 10:21 AM
i would love to hear how somebody is making $1milllion dollars. I would be happy with $1000.00 a month. Are we talking using AWS or with ads on your site?

James
10-07-2004, 12:29 PM
It would take me 520,833 years at this rate...
I'd love to make $1000 a year.

Some time soon I'll get some money flowing in though.

Blue Cat Buxton
10-07-2004, 12:33 PM
It is a nice target to aim for

If you were making substantial sums online, you would probably use the income to generate more (offline) income- property, investments, whatever,

Emancipator
10-07-2004, 01:13 PM
good post chris.... and yeah... sales and profits are two different things. I cant get over just how much you have in sales... are you warehousing or is it affiliate?

ozgression
10-07-2004, 05:39 PM
It is very possible to make $1,000,000 per year (before tax). Even with content sites... Though it is obviously easier with ecommerce and affiliate sites.
________
stock picks (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

Chris
10-07-2004, 06:01 PM
I warehouse.

AndyH
10-07-2004, 06:04 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: Typed out a post twice now, both times IE got an error ... this time I learnt my lesson and am using FireFox :p.

I was on $1 million profit a year (before tax :() until eBay did a review of my campaigns and felt the quality of the members I was sending where below network average.

http://www.hellbored.com/uploader/uploads/graph.JPG

A few minutes ago (the first time I went to make this post) I got a tingle down my spine when I went to check my CJ account as I hadn't bothered to in over a week for the above reason. This made me forget all about what is like christmas, monthly -- incentive performance day - the 5th of every month.

I will say that it was more than an average adult makes yearly :eek:.

That is why being a webmaster is quite possibly the best job one can have. :D

michael_gersitz
10-07-2004, 06:25 PM

Nice one, just the other day, I went into my Partypoker.com affiliate account to see if they had any updates... just to discover I had mad $600. :eek:

Webmastering is truely the best.

michael_gersitz
10-07-2004, 06:35 PM
1 year if you have a good idea and are a marketting expert.

Chris could easily make $1 million a year in gross income if he made a few more ecommerce sites, in a few years I think Chromate, Michael Gersitz, Andy H, a few other people, and myself could make that much too...

Thanks for the compliment. I bet you will get there first though. ;)

(In the above post I meant *made)

abelony
10-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Such an inspiratinal thread. I had lost motivation for some time. It's back now. Thanks guys.

Off topic: I am typing this post from my wife's Axim X30. This is sooooo cool.

Emancipator
10-08-2004, 05:01 AM
I warehouse.

Thanks... appreciate your reply. And well done... i strive only to make my content site semi-profitable.. got a long way to go but its good to hear how others have done it.

incka
10-09-2004, 10:15 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: Typed out a post twice now, both times IE got an error ... this time I learnt my lesson and am using FireFox :p.

I was on $1 million profit a year (before tax :() until eBay did a review of my campaigns and felt the quality of the members I was sending where below network average.

http://www.hellbored.com/uploader/uploads/graph.JPG

A few minutes ago (the first time I went to make this post) I got a tingle down my spine when I went to check my CJ account as I hadn't bothered to in over a week for the above reason. This made me forget all about what is like christmas, monthly -- incentive performance day - the 5th of every month.

That is why being a webmaster is quite possibly the best job one can have. :D

PPC or ?

I made alot with PPC when I had access to a credit card...

moonshield
10-09-2004, 11:51 AM
was it easier to generate $1 mil in profits before the bust? I believe that it is still possible today

incka
10-09-2004, 12:05 PM
When CPMs on banners was $10 it must have been so much easier. I'm aiming to push those CPMs back up...

Mike
10-09-2004, 12:08 PM
you, alone?

moonshield
10-09-2004, 12:13 PM
that would be madness... awesome...

I wonder how much the people who own sites like cnet make?

dolphin
10-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Hi Guys

Great replies! i was talking about $1m profit. Aspen thats a good way of thinking about it, 3million page views per day. Is this possible for a person working on his own?

How about employing writers to write content for you? that way you can have lots of websites getting built at any one time. Is that a strategy worth doing? Is there a down side to this?

Emancipator
10-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Find a group of people that share the same interests and then you will end up with gobs of good content. My site is thousands of pages and its only a few months old. Combine that with some AMAZON data and you have a very large and comprehensive site in the making.

Anybody with good solid ways of increasing your page views, I would like to hear it. Mine is word of mouth.

chromate
10-10-2004, 10:40 AM
I think Chris said not so long back that when he put a quiz on his survival site the pageviews went up substantially. I think quizzes are a good way to harness page views.

incka
10-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Quizes, Polls, Word Searches, Crosswords, Comments, etc all make users visit sites again... I'm going to be adding these to my network of history sites when I get it launched as well as a news site I plan to build. I employ writers, they are usually very slow as they have day jobs too...

While we are talking about CPMs, I can offer $1 eCPM on leaderboards if any of you are interested.

Emancipator
10-10-2004, 01:12 PM
incka you never did get back to me on your $1cpm leaderboards.

And chromate I was thinking this morning that a quiz would probably be a pretty good pageview generator. I am going to tinker with the idea for my site once I get my updates done.

incka
10-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Rules:

No forum/auction pages.
Must be above the fold (in top 500 pixcels and no to the left on the horizonal scroll)

Send me the following details:

Paypal address
Name
Email
Desired username
Desired password

I'll send you your code and your stats URL then.

Mike
10-10-2004, 01:33 PM
So you've got this service setup already?

incka
10-10-2004, 01:34 PM
As soon as Ad Server contact me I'm going to switch to them as I think it will be more reliable than PHPAdsNew, but it is set up, has advertisers and publishers already and is paying out $1 eCPM to publishers...

Mike
10-10-2004, 01:35 PM
How many publishers have you got?

Could you also contact me on msn please, I need to check to see if it still is playing up.

incka
10-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Your MSN isn't working.

Publishers are less than 25 so far. As soon as I've got ad server set up I'm going to send out promotional letters via snail mail to thousands of webmasters who run tribal fusion, fastclick, etc leaderboards.

incka
10-10-2004, 01:43 PM
In fact my msn isn't working either.

Blue Cat Buxton
10-11-2004, 02:33 AM
whats the difference between CPM and eCPM?

chromate
10-11-2004, 02:46 AM
Effective CPM (eCPM) is the amount you get after the advertising company have taken their cut of the money.

Blue Cat Buxton
10-11-2004, 03:12 AM
Thank you Chromate

AndyH
10-11-2004, 05:37 AM
Effective CPM (eCPM) is the amount you get after the advertising company have taken their cut of the money.
:confused:

It is the amount you make per 1 thousand impressions when paid on a CPA (Cost Per Action) or CPC (Cost Per Click) basis.

money_earnt / (impressions / 1000) = eCPM

Is it not...

PPC or ?

I made alot with PPC when I had access to a credit card...
CPA

Chris
10-11-2004, 06:06 AM
Andy is right.

Net CPM or Net eCPM would be how much you make after the cut. That really depends on the ad network though. Since Google doesn't show you precut earnings you can assume if someone is talking about Google and says eCPM they mean Net eCPM.

Blue Cat Buxton
10-11-2004, 06:47 AM
OK, I think I understand eCPM thanks.

In terms of Incka's post - "I can offer $1 eCPM on Leaderboards" is he saying "I am running a CPA program, but offeing/guaranteeing a CPM rate" (sorry to put words into your mouth Incka, just trying to get the jargon clear in my mind)

chromate
10-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Oops! Yeah, sorry for the misinformation. I just had it in my head from using both Google and Fastclick. Fastclick reports gross CPM and then eCPM for all types of ad. The eCPM amount is minus fastclick's cut, the same way as Google's eCPM is after their cut. I just assumed that was always the case, "effective" meaning what you actually get per 1k ad impressions after all deductions (net).

AndyH
10-11-2004, 07:28 AM
OK, I think I understand eCPM thanks.

In terms of Incka's post - "I can offer $1 eCPM on Leaderboards" is he saying "I am running a CPA program, but offeing/guaranteeing a CPM rate" (sorry to put words into your mouth Incka, just trying to get the jargon clear in my mind)

I think he should of said he is offering a CPM of $1 - with him making an eCPM of >$1 via CPA campaigns.

But yeah, you have it right I believe.

Blue Cat Buxton
10-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Cool, thanks all.

incka
10-11-2004, 12:58 PM
I pay $1 CPM, which is your eCPM. I don't reveal what I make.

moonshield
10-11-2004, 01:06 PM
I pay $1 CPM, which is your eCPM. I don't reveal what I make.

Convienent... Indeed. Possibly Profitable... I like your thinking

incka
10-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Possibly? No. Definatly? Yes.

paulfitz
10-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Wow, some talented individuals in here.

I'm still looking to crack $100 a month in profits...! (btw anyone want to be my mentor ? lol - will pay a guru for some good advice ! )

Emancipator
10-17-2004, 05:53 PM
depending on your traffic you can break $100.00 a month in profits no problem. I can help you get past that hurtle easy :) Drop me a line on MSN easiest way to get me, emancipator3@hotmail.com

And you dont have to pay me, I like to help, and I might learn something from you in turn.

paulfitz
10-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Will do, thanks :)

Yes, I'm kind of suprised I haven't sold a single thing with Amazon yet, some of the sites get a few click throughs etc... Adsense pays me pennies lol! Any advice apreciated, will chat soon.

r2d2
10-18-2004, 04:28 AM
Cool, may have to drop you a line on MSN too Emancipator

Emancipator
10-18-2004, 04:57 AM
sharing ideas = we all win. thats my outlook.

Mike
10-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Emancipator, do you mean you can help people get a lot more traffic?

Emancipator
10-18-2004, 08:37 AM
lol..... umm no, I mean i can share what works for me, and what I did on my site. I like to think its not doing to shabby considering its less then 4months old.

I had no idea their was a secret to MASS traffic other then good content, and a site that people feel they HAVE to visit :)

intelliot
10-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Contact me too - AIM: intelliot