PDA

View Full Version : Who is Jetbot?

paul
10-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Some of my tiny sites are showing hundreds of visits from Jetbot. That seems to be a spider from Jeteye.com. Anyone know anything about them?

Emancipator
10-07-2004, 10:24 AM
hmm cant say, I checked my logs, no jetbot on my site, but i got hundreds of other little spiders.

James
10-07-2004, 12:25 PM
I believe it is supposed to download entire websites or something... I can't really remember. Is the spider using a lot of bandwidth?

Emancipator
10-07-2004, 01:19 PM
quote from the folks who OWN the spider

Hello all. I meant to post this sooner. Yes, JetBot is the spider for JetEye.com, a new Internet technology company with a public beta due in a couple months. Yes, we are benign, and yes we are licensing some technology from GigaBlast. So JetBot is as well behaved as gigabot. If you have any questions or concerns you can use the contact page on our site at http://www.jeteye.com/contact.html

All the best,
The JetEye Team

lorien1973
10-08-2004, 09:26 AM
any search engine that makes you register to use it, is bound to succeed

paul
10-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Is the spider using a lot of bandwidth?

Sites that normally have 5-6 visits a day will show 300 or more visits. My pages are small text only pages so it isn't really a bandwidth issue for me. That would not be true for someone with a large site and large pages. Makes a joke out of the Webalizer stats.

James
10-08-2004, 01:10 PM
That's another name to cross off my f*in' list [/billy madison]

I'm going to be putting this as banned in my robots.txt file. a) I don't believe in registration for you to be able to use a search engine b) I like my stats c) I don't like my bandwidth being sucked dry.

Emancipator
10-08-2004, 01:13 PM
if it was eating my BW I would ban it to... but its not... im not good enough for jetbot.. lol.

ozgression
10-08-2004, 06:16 PM
I assume they are requiring registration as they are still in Beta and need their testers to acknowledge their NDA.