PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Shopping Carts

Blue Cat Buxton
10-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Do AWS sites with a built in shopping cart convert better than ones that just direct back to Amazon to handle the purchase.

I see pros and cons:

Pros, the potential to build up a larger total shopping cart value (rather than selecting just one item before proceeding to Amazon)
Cons, if the purchase isn't completed then the visitor doesn't even get to the Amazon site to register a cookie. - also there is more work involved in coding!

Mike
10-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Another con is that they may not trust you as much as amazon, and then won't make the purchase because they think you are dealing with the order.

Chris
10-05-2004, 07:26 AM
I'd rather just send them to Amazon because that way I get the referral cookie set and they might buy other things (related items, etc).

jck2ho
10-06-2004, 04:28 PM
I am using the AWS 4.0 Shopping Cart service. It's only for US. I don't think it's supporting for Intl yet. In Intl, you don't get the offer listing id.

http://us.jpdigicam.com

LuckyShima
10-06-2004, 04:50 PM
I'd rather just send them to Amazon because that way I get the referral cookie set and they might buy other things (related items, etc).
How long is the life of the cookie? Does it extend beyond that referred visit?

Thanks

Emancipator
10-06-2004, 07:55 PM
I would also like to know the life of the amazon cookie.... and on the cart note I dont use it. people trust amazon and they dont know me from ADAM so I dont bother with it. I rather let them buy from the name they trust and collect my 5%

Kyle
10-06-2004, 08:22 PM
I would also advise against the shopping cart. A lot of the sites look goofy with shopping carts attached to AWS, and not very official.

Furthermore, I think it's more appropriate to portray the image of you providing a "recommendation service". In other words, you are recommending Amazon as the dealer to purchase the given product.

Chris
10-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Cookie is 24 hours I think.

Emancipator
10-07-2004, 06:47 AM
thanks chris, and I agree icebane!

Blue Cat Buxton
10-07-2004, 07:08 AM
Yes, thanks

AWS / ECS 4 looks quite good, BTW, lots of information is now made available

Emancipator
10-07-2004, 10:22 AM
im using aws4 and i have just touched on the basics.. It doesnt seem to offer a pile of new features, but then ive not played much :)