PDA

View Full Version : Home page not indexed?

Westech
10-01-2004, 03:12 PM
If you look at the G allinurl results for my very new site crazymonkeygames.com:

http://www.google.com/search?q=allinurl:www.crazymonkeygames.com&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&filter=0

You'll see that the last few results are for randomgame.php and contact.php, and both of these results have no summary text or cache with them. This is because I disallowed them in robots.txt .

What disturbs me is that the final result, after even the above two files, is my home page ( www.crazymonkeygames.com ). It also contains no cache or summary text. What's going on? You can see my robots.txt here: www.crazymonkeygames.com/robots.txt . I can't see anything in there that could possibly disallow my homepage, and to get to all of the other pages that it has indexed, goog would have had to go through links on my homepage! Does anyone have any ideas of what might have caused this?

Westech
10-06-2004, 08:47 PM
And now after the pagerank update my subpages have PR, but my homepage is still PR 0 (not greyed out.) Every subpage links to my homepage, so why doesn't it have any PR?

The homepage is not included in any search results, but subpages are. Example:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22The+Sega+classic+-+Now+in+convenient+browser+size%22&btnG=Google+Search

The description of this game appears exactly the same way near the top of my main page, and on the "Sonic" game page. As you can see from this link, the SERPS only show the game page and not the main page.

Will someone who knows what they're doing please help me figure out what's going on?

intelliot
10-07-2004, 06:18 PM
although this shouldn't make a difference -
you can try adding another
Disallow:
to the end of that robots.txt which means to allow everything else not disallowed above. (at least that's what it seems according to one example at searchengineworld (http://www.searchengineworld.com/misc/robots_txt_crawl.htm))

Westech
10-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Now it seems that none of my pages are showing up in the Google SERPS, including the page that showed up in the search linked to in my original post. I'm showing up and getting search visitors from MSN and Yahoo.

C'mon, surely someone can help me out here...

Emancipator
10-15-2004, 12:31 PM
westech if you want i can help you out with a few links to get you spidered and see if you stil get no results. I am spidered once or twice a day on a whack of my pages... this is all I can do to help. sorry i cant offer more advice.

Westech
10-15-2004, 12:42 PM
I appreciate the kind offer, Emancipator, but I don't think getting spidered is the problem. I've got tons of backlinks in Google just from forum postings, and all my subpages used to be listed. They just aren't anymore. I was hoping that someone could give me some advice about what may be going on. *cough* *Chris* *cough*

Emancipator
10-15-2004, 01:21 PM
lol.. aight.. when was your page last cached by google? And if you change your mind just let me know :)

ozgression
10-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Could it be that "sandbox" theory?

My new sites always seem to get alot more Yahoo visitors before Google comes to play.
________
weed news (http://potwire.com)

Westech
10-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Possibly, but my understanding of the sandbox theory is that new sites rand poorly or not at all for a while. All of my subpages were in the SERPS for a while, and then completely disappeared. I think Google just hates me. All of my sites do reasonably well in all the engines except Google.

Chris
10-15-2004, 07:18 PM
How old is the site and where did you get the domain from? A previous ban is very possible.

In general sites appear in Google's search results without abstract when Google knows of the URL, through links etc, but has not yet crawled and indexed the URL. I assume, through your log files, you can show that Google has atleast visited your homepage?

Westech
10-17-2004, 12:52 PM
The site has been up for about a month and a half. I realize that I shouldn't expect it to be listed so soon, but my concern is that most subpages were listed and now aren't. Googlebot has visited the homepage.

I registered the domain from godaddy. I suppose that a previous ban is possible. :( Archive.org shows no record of previous use for the domain, and I don't know of any other way to check it's previous use. If it is banned, how long do bans generally last and are there any steps I can take to get it lifted? Think I'll have any luck contacting Google?

Emancipator
10-17-2004, 05:35 PM
banning is extremely rare westech. not just slightly. VERY. If you really want to test the theory, get somebody who is spidered daily, and get them to drop a nice prominent text link in. If your not spidered in 2 days, you got yourself a problem houston :)

I have plenty of buddies with hobby sites who always whine they dont show in google, and a link on a daily spidered site solves all. You can also then rule alot of things out.

Westech
10-18-2004, 12:36 PM
I'll tell you what Emancipator, I'll take you up on your offer if you still want to link to me. :) If not, I completely understand.

The address is www.crazymonkeygames.com . Preferred anchor text is free internet games, but I'll obviously take whatever you want to use. Thanks!

Chris
10-18-2004, 12:59 PM
SavvyShopping was banned when I bought it, sent Google an email and they unbanned it.

Emancipator
10-18-2004, 01:57 PM
westech, next index update I will add a link to get you spidered.

Westech
10-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Emancipator, you rule! :)

Chris, if nothing happens for another month or so I'll try emailing Google about a possible ban.

Many thanks to you both.

Emancipator
10-18-2004, 02:41 PM
you will know in a couple days with my method, since i get spidered like mad, daily.