PDA

View Full Version : Are wireless routers supposed to emit a lot of heat?

abelony
09-27-2004, 07:38 AM
Hi guys.

I bought a Netgear wireless router a couple of days ago and last night I noticed that it was really warm(somewhere between warm and hot). It works great but I am a little concerned. I have never had any kind of computer hardware that produced this much heat. Before I call the store, do you guys know if this is normal?

chrispian
09-27-2004, 07:59 AM
Some heat is normal. Cheaper devices produce more heat because they usually don't have a very good air flow or cooling system (fan). But any electronic equipment bordering on "hot" that isn't an oven or microwave isn't good.

On the other hand, if this is one of the new "hot plate" / "Wireless Router" models where you can cook eggs and surf then it might be normal.

Also, is it always hot, or just when your doing some heaving net usage? When the wireless processor kicks in it'll generate more heat than when it's idle. Mine gets a little warmer (but not hot!). Now, my AC adapter for my laptop gets down right toasty when charging but it just stays barely warm when I'm just using it normally.

Westech
09-27-2004, 08:07 AM
My motto is: If it's still working and it's not setting anything on fire then it's OK. :D

To be safe, maybe you should make sure that nothing is blocking the vents and that nothing flammable is touching the device.

abelony
09-27-2004, 08:18 AM
Well, maybe it is a new kitchen/office product because mine is "hot" all the time. I think if it was a laptop and I put it in my lap, it would burn certain things (I read a story about a guy whose nuts were burned on the plane from the heat of his laptop). Anyway, I am going to call the store and ask them about it.

chrispian
09-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Well, maybe it is a new kitchen/office product because mine is "hot" all the time. I think if it was a laptop and I put it in my lap, it would burn certain things (I read a story about a guy whose nuts were burned on the plane from the heat of his laptop). Anyway, I am going to call the store and ask them about it.

Okay, I laughed out loud at that. I admit it. I think I read something like that before too. Seems like it was an Alienware and it even peeled the paint of the laptop case. Poor guy and his nards ;)

Westech
09-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Nards? :eek: I thought he was talking about the peanuts they pass out on the flight! :D

abelony
09-27-2004, 08:48 PM
I was talking about the peanuts.

Just kidding.

As far as my "hotplate", I called the store and read on some other forums that sometimes these things run hot. Some of the people said that due to the heat the routers sometimes wear out faster but mostly within the warranty period.

michael_gersitz
09-28-2004, 02:39 PM
My Linksys Wireless Router is pretty hot, hopefully it will last a while.