PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear it...

Westech
09-20-2004, 02:15 PM
I just "finished" my new online games site and would like to get some reviews, advice, etc. The site was originally a basic pre-made flash game site script that I bought, but I've done quite a bit of modification to add mod_rewrite seo friendliness and a lot of extra functionality such as user ratings, random game link, etc.

I plan to add a lot more games as I find the time, but would like to hear any other suggestions as far as making the site better or promoting it.

Also, if any of you here who have game sites are interested in link exchanges, please post here or PM me.

www.CrazyMonkeyGames.com

incka
09-20-2004, 11:30 PM
I've seen loads of sites with the same design and so have the gamers - Get an original design. I've bought one for my new site for just over $200 including 3d logo. It's a good design but it's unoriginal.

Mike
09-21-2004, 12:06 AM
Imho the design isn't bad. All it needs is a bit of brightening up somewhere. You don't need to fork out $200 for a new design when you don't need it. Perhaps when the site is a bit more established, but you don't know if it's going to be a success or failure yet.

incka
09-21-2004, 12:13 AM
The domain is a bit long too, imho.

You can still make money in the online game market but you've got to know how to. I know how to know after several years with a game site.

MarkB
09-21-2004, 01:12 AM
I think it's a brilliant domain - and would expect to find cool, off-the-wall games there (build a community around it, too!;)).

incka
09-21-2004, 04:56 AM
Thanks for community tip. I'm actually building a large game site at the moment which I'm going to try to compete with the likes of Miniclip, Kewlbox and FreeOnlineGames.com with... I think vb with it's arcade would make a good community of it.

MarkB
09-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Don't forget that forums aren't the only ways of building a community.

Think of other ways that people could interact with, and add value (for themselves) to, your site.

Games sites, IMO, are ripe for community building.

Anyway, as for the original post - I too think the design is a little "out-of-the-box"; change things around a little, and really try to exploit your cool domain name for effect :)

Good luck!

Blue Cat Buxton
09-21-2004, 07:09 AM
Another thumbs up for the domain name

Not sure about the "are you a monkey" comment though

Westech
09-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the comments. I actually do plan on getting a better logo done. Maybe something with a catchy little mascot. After looking at it some more I see what you mean about the design. I'll put a redesign somewhere on my to-do list.

The domain name is the product of me spending a lot of time trying to find something that was:
1. Easy to remember
2. Unique and brandable
3. a .com
4. Short (3 out of 4 isn't bad, right? :D )

I realize that it's a little long, but I think it's unique enough that it will stick in users' heads.

As for the community aspects, I was considering letting users post short comments along with the ratings of each game, but I'm hesitant to do that because I'm afraid I couldn't censor all of the spam and "internet filth" quickly enough and the site would begin to look trashy. A forum that requires registration might be a better idea. Now that Mark has got me thinking about it, I'm re-reading his article looking for other community building ideas to try out once my traffic picks up.

Again, thanks for the comments. I'd still like to hear more comments, critiques, or ideas if anyone has them.

MarkB
09-21-2004, 08:11 AM
For the comments, simply have it so none are made public until you moderate them.

incka
09-21-2004, 09:36 AM
On the site I'm making, I'm going to use vrating.com's script for mine where users can rate the game. I thought about comments, but moderating them would take too long so instead I will link every game to the forum.