PDA

View Full Version : Linking a network of sites.

Westech
09-20-2004, 08:29 AM
I've seen two basic methods used to link a publisher's sites together.

One method is the "network page" method, where the publisher has one page that every page of every site links back to. This page then links to the main pages of each site.

The other method is to link to the main page of every site from every page of every site, or from the main page of every site. (By putting links to all sites in the header or footer of each page, for instance.)

I'm wondering which of these methods is more efficient for passing pagerank. method #1 seems to have the benefit of focusing as much PR as possible on one page and then passing out high PR links to the other pages. Method #2 seems like it may avoid the extra dampening factor of linking to the main network links page and then linking again to the pages that need the PR. Does anyone have any comments about the advantages or disadvantages of these two methods?

MarkB
09-20-2004, 08:39 AM
I use method 1 - and pass the majority of the PR to new sites (since they usually have no backlinks etc). However, I also link sites with matching themes together... So, method 1 with a sprinkling of method 2. It seems to work OK for me (but then, I have little traffic anyway...!).

Mike
09-21-2004, 12:03 AM
I do the same as Mark. Link to most sites from my "hub", then link sites with similar themes.

incka
09-21-2004, 12:10 AM
Same as Mark and Mike.

Westech
09-21-2004, 07:25 AM
I guess what I'm interested in are the reasons for linking to a hub site instead of directly to your other sites. Is it just to keep from covering your sites with links, or is there a benefit to focusing the PR on one site before sending it out to all the others?

Chris
09-21-2004, 08:08 AM
There is no PR benefit, its just less spammy to use a hub.

freekrai
09-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Here's another related question, what benefit in the end, does having a network toolbar at the top of your sites actually do?
The links are usually an HTML select so the code doesn't get read by search engines the same. So, aside from giving people a way to move between all of your sites, what's the overall advantage?

chrispian
09-21-2004, 09:14 AM
Here's another related question, what benefit in the end, does having a network toolbar at the top of your sites actually do?
The links are usually an HTML select so the code doesn't get read by search engines the same. So, aside from giving people a way to move between all of your sites, what's the overall advantage?

You just said why, giving people an easy way to get between you sites. I've found that on my sites that I have a high number of people who use more than one of my sites. I used to have a network toolbar (took it off to conserve bandwidth) and they missed it quite a bit. I went back to using links on the side bar of my pages to our other sites and they were happy with that. While it may not help you with SE's, if you have traffic you could certainly drive some to your other projects. Especially if your like me and most of them are of the same theme.

freekrai
09-21-2004, 09:15 AM
I kinda realized after I posted that I answered my own question. :rolleyes:

incka
09-21-2004, 09:39 AM
I have on on some of my sites that are related and it really does move traffic between them. I also do links in OBVIOUS places to other similar sites on my sites, so users can visit them. This helps for both SE and user-traffic.

freekrai
09-21-2004, 09:42 AM
I've been thinking about it, that was why I asked. But so many of my sites aren't quite related. Some are, but some aren't.

incka
09-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Electronics network.
Webmaster network.
Game network.

Are a few suggestions for the ones I see in your sig.

Not all sites will go into a category until you have about 25 sites usually...

freekrai
09-21-2004, 09:54 AM
I have close to 50 overall, I only show my most recent in my sigs and on my main website, since my girlfriend runs a few of them herself.

AfterHim.com
09-21-2004, 07:16 PM
I've heard of people being banned by linking in a circle...the infamous google email said it was a link farm

freekrai
09-22-2004, 08:31 AM
I think it might be different when it's sites you actually own yourself.

AfterHim.com
09-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Maybe so freekrai, I haven't actually looked into it myself...all 3 of my sites link to each other, and they all link to a friends site...nothing bad yet :)

freekrai
09-22-2004, 11:27 AM
currently, I keep a links page or a little box on the side of the page which has links to some other sites I own and some sites that I associated with.

If I do the toolbar, then that will be only for sites I own. Just still playing with if I want to do that or not.

James
09-22-2004, 05:26 PM
I don't think Google can tell if you own a site--it doesn't check IP addresses (by GoogleGuy's admittance) and it doesn't check whois.

lorien1973
10-01-2004, 08:16 AM
I think google might only get upset if you start interlinking and crosslinking 100's of sites. If you have a 100 different domains, each interlinked to each other and not a lot of links going elsewhere, google may drop the hammer on you.

This is why you see a lot of sites using the automated link generating programs with a PR 0 - too much cross linking between the member sites.

abelony
10-01-2004, 08:47 AM
I don't think Google can tell if you own a site--it doesn't check IP addresses (by GoogleGuy's admittance) and it doesn't check whois.

Is the IP part really correct because I have started paying for a couple of dedicated IPs and I want to know if I am wasting my money? I have read on SP forums posts by Chris mentioning that he has bought a few dedicated IPs. I wonder if it's helping him.

Chris
10-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Its better to be safe than sorry. IPs are cheap, losing your rankings is not.

abelony
10-01-2004, 08:51 AM
I think google might only get upset if you start interlinking and crosslinking 100's of sites. If you have a 100 different domains, each interlinked to each other and not a lot of links going elsewhere, google may drop the hammer on you.

This is why you see a lot of sites using the automated link generating programs with a PR 0 - too much cross linking between the member sites.

I think this is what happened to me. I have a few sites that are all interlinked. About a couple of weeks ago, google dropped and anvil on me. My traffic went down substantially. :mad: I have links from external sites too but I think I got penalized for my interlinking strategy. Basically I linked sites to each other from every page.