PDA

View Full Version : Advertisements in Applications

Breadstick
09-16-2004, 05:23 PM
I know this is a website publisher forum, but you all seem to know a lot about advertising and affiliate programs. I'm a programmer, not a web developer, and I was wondering if anybody knew of an advertisement/affiliate program that would allow placement of advertisements within a multiplayer online video game with about 1000 members logging in daily?

Would something like this generally require a personal contract with an agency?

Thanks

Chris
09-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Games like Utopia that are browser based are ad supported. You might want to clear it with the ad networks before hand, and certainly some, like adsense, might not work, but I wouldn't forsee it being a major issue so long as the content of the game and the proposed placement of the ad are not problematic.

AndyH
09-16-2004, 09:23 PM
All the major networks won't accept you - ones that pay good rates anyhow.

Advertising.com might under a trial contract.
FocusIN probably will.

Google Adsense does work but you should supply a default ad.

Breadstick
09-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Games like Utopia that are browser based are ad supported. You might want to clear it with the ad networks before hand

This game isn't browser based, it's an application. Games by Blizzard all have ads in the lobbies or waiting rooms, I was thinking of doing something like that, but I don't know of any advertisement agencies that would allow it for such a small game.

Google Adsense does work but you should supply a default ad.

From Google Adsense's Program Policies:
"... cannot display our ads, search box, or search results as a result of the actions of any software application such as a toolbar. No Google ad or search box code may be pasted into any software application."

What do you mean by default ad? Just the default style they supply?

AndyH
09-16-2004, 09:47 PM
I wasn't aware that it wasn't browser based, but now I do, yeah - Adsense won't work and as you showed with their policies, they don't allow it.

You are definatly going to have to contact the advertising agencies and explain the situation and what you would like to do.

Nick
09-16-2004, 10:00 PM
if you can't find an agency, you might just want to personally contact companies that you think would like to advertise within your game.

incka
09-17-2004, 12:18 AM
If it's a .exe you could include adware in it. LoudCash.com have a program for this, it pays $0.20 per install.

Chris
09-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Affiliate programs could certainly be used, you don't want to sell your soul and promote adware though.

Mike
09-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Would something like Fastclick work? They've just accepted a gaming site of mine...

incka
09-17-2004, 12:45 PM
I don't think they would like it. If you don't mind 'sell[ing] your soul' then adware might be the only way.

AndyH
09-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Putting adware with your game is setting yourself up for failure.

It is hard enough starting out with just a good game trying to get players...

michael_gersitz
09-18-2004, 09:52 AM
I hate adware, and anyone who profits from it.

Nick
09-19-2004, 03:04 AM

Ditto. :mad:

James
09-19-2004, 04:41 AM
Ditto. :mad:
I third it.

Mike
09-19-2004, 05:22 AM
I fourth it :)

incka
09-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Loads of people are going to hate me in about a month then.

Mike, you hate yourself, some of the ads in fastclick are for adware products such as gator.

michael_gersitz
09-19-2004, 11:27 AM
dude, grow up. This stupid business decisions will get you no where. Why must you insist on causing so many problems to so many people for just .20 an american download. I accidentally clicked on an activeX ad, and now I can not get rid of it, It has many alias files and automatically reinstalls itself everyday under new file names.

I hate people like you now, for even thinking of using it, and even rubbing it in our faces that you are planning on doing it.

Mike
09-19-2004, 11:55 AM

Mike, you hate yourself, some of the ads in fastclick are for adware products such as gator.

I hate myself because I run fastclick? Well a lot of other people who posted here do as well.

incka
09-19-2004, 12:12 PM
I wonder put it on a site that gets mostly repeat traffic, but if I made a site that got most traffic from google, etc, then I might put it on.

michael_gersitz
09-19-2004, 05:18 PM
I wonder put it on a site that gets mostly repeat traffic, but if I made a site that got most traffic from google, etc, then I might put it on.

If that made any sense.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

michael_gersitz
09-19-2004, 05:20 PM

Are they ads, or automatic downloads. That is what I though.

James
09-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Incka, are you saying that people will install your program and not touch it again?