PDA

View Full Version : HTML Forums

incka
09-07-2004, 09:52 AM
I've made a new site.

http://www.htmlforums.info

I know phpbb isn't seen as best for webmaster sites, but I could not find a good skin for vb.

I've started it with just 4 categories, and I'll wait until they get to 250 posts before making more ones.

MarkB
09-07-2004, 11:00 AM
phpBB is fine for webmaster forums - some people just prefer vB.

What do you plan to do to make your site stand out from an overcrowded 'niche'?

Nice skin, btw!

chromate
09-07-2004, 11:08 AM
I'll be honest. I think you'll need a lot of luck and a long time to make the site successful. Quite simply, there are an abundance of sites already out there that provide exactly what you're offering - and more. I hope it works out for you anyway.

It looks nice. Though, you may want to use more screen space. If for example, people will be posting code samples, then you could easily find the space becomes too cramped. There's nothing worse than what would be otherwise nicely formatted code, breaking onto new lines etc.

I notice the forums aren't SE friendly either which I think could be a real set back with a forum!

incka
09-07-2004, 11:16 AM
I made it SEO friendly. The SID's don't show when Googlebot, Yahoobot, Ask Jeeves and a few other bots come to the site.

I know there is a lot of competition, however I feel making a network of webmaster sites (which I am currently doing) will drive a lot of traffic to it.

chromate
09-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Considering most webmasters are interested in a whole range of web related topics, why not just do a single site that covers the main ones and then you can concentrate your promotion efforts on that instead of splitting it between several different sites.

incka
09-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Well really it is going to be one site, just with different sections having different domains. They are all going to use that skin as their design (will look really good on the script-listings part).

shim
09-08-2004, 07:50 PM
I'm just curious, why did you choose this topic, incka?

incka
09-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Because the domain was free and I can make forums quick, and literature forums is proving very personally rewarding, and in about a year should start to be financially rewarding too.

michael_gersitz
09-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Forums take time to devolop...

MarkB
09-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Only if you don't know ways to get people to it beyond the usual SE/Link Exchanges.

incka
09-09-2004, 11:05 PM
My literature forums got a lot of traffic quick because I posted on shakespeare forums, etc, with the link is my sig.

moonshield
09-12-2004, 02:14 PM
im a member. :)