PDA

View Full Version : Computer 'crashed'...

incka
09-03-2004, 12:39 AM
I turned on the electricity and I heard a cracking sound, the monitor, scanner, etc turned on, but the computer would not.

Has the computer blown or is it just the fuse in the plug?

incka
09-03-2004, 01:21 AM
It's not the fuse...

So is my whole computer ruined or just the power supply?

Is it worth fixing when it is almost two years old and only got £450 at the time?

I backed up a week ago, however I will loose my accounts update and several ad network reviews, plus thousands of emails.

r2d2
09-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Could be - try another lead, or change the fuse. And another socket to be sure, or check something else in the socket.

If its all ok, and still nothing, probably ur power supply.

r2d2
09-03-2004, 01:26 AM
I had my power supply 'go' last year, it took the motherboard with it, but I would hope ur harddrive would be ok.

You could get another power supply for ~£20.

incka
09-03-2004, 01:39 AM
How much for installation though?

I checked another power lead already.

r2d2
09-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Its not that difficult. Just take a note of what cables are plugged in where and then plug in the new ones.

If not, Im sure PCWorld would fit it for you, but dont expect the assistant to know any more than you do about computers :) Surely you must know someone who could do it?

incka
09-03-2004, 02:59 AM
I do know someone, the only problem is he is in St Johns, Worcester, which is too far away...

PC World take weeks to fix anything.

I'll try doing it myself. Could I pick up the parts from PC World?

Dan Morgan
09-03-2004, 03:50 AM
You can pick up PSU's in at PC World cheaply. Its literally a 2 minute swap. Head over to their generic parts rather than trying to get anything branded.

Westech
09-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Be careful of static electricity when working in your PC. (Static electricity is the stuff that shocks you when you touch a doorknob.) Even a shock that is too small for you to feel can damage PC parts. Make sure that you touch something metal and grounded to discharge any static you've built up both before you begin the repair and frequently during the repair so you don't zap your computer.

incka
09-03-2004, 07:51 AM
OK. I've never got static from door knobs, only trampolines and cars.

Mike
09-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Maybe get those static gloves or a static mat at PC world?

incka
09-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Damn, I forgot the static thing. At least it's working. And I probably did touch a lot of metal before going in it (screwdrivers, doorhandles, case, etc). Gareth fitted it for me.

r2d2
09-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Is actually good to touch metal as long as it is earthed. When doing things other than changing PSU, I leave the power lead plugged in so the whole case is earthed.

Good work getitng it working though. Recovered all ur emails etc? Should always backup your PST files along with normal backups.

incka
09-03-2004, 12:25 PM
HD is fine.

I can't get to my emails until incka.com propagates.

r2d2
09-03-2004, 12:38 PM
You could put incka.com in your hosts file.

Heres a guide: http://www.outpostfirewall.com/guide/faq/hosts.htm

hosts file is in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc on XP.

AndyH
09-03-2004, 09:21 PM
I backed up a week ago, however I will loose my accounts update and several ad network reviews, plus thousands of emails.

Ummm, from what you described it has nothing to do with the hard drive so all your data will be fine.

incka
09-04-2004, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I was talking about if it had blown my HD, but it didn't.

Jaffro
09-04-2004, 04:29 PM
rare for Hd's to go now days. I've blown loads of power supplys :D hehe but they're only cheap.

You may want to consider getting an external drive incka, i got one a few years ago (40GB Maxtor USB2.0) then took it apart to find it was only a standard HDD in a case with a USB bridge. I've now taken in out and have it in my desktop, when i need it on usb2 i can pop it straight back in again. Am also considering buying a new hd to put in the external case as they're so cheap at the moment, could probably find a decent 'internal' hdd and use it as an external without the higher cost :D helpful with data too.

Anyway, other stuff like RAID will increase your chance of saving data if your hard drive does fail. I lost a lot (or i thought i had) when an old hdd died, downloaded a program called, ermm, R Studio i think it was, it recovered everything as if i was copying from one hdd to another :) damn useful!

edit: PS good job on getting it fixed!

Chris
09-05-2004, 07:28 PM
I do not have, but want to get, a Maxtor One Touch external hard drive. There is a button on it that you press and it automatically backs up your system.

incka
09-06-2004, 01:44 AM
I just back up to my server once a week... Only important files.

freekrai
09-08-2004, 12:41 PM
I do not have, but want to get, a Maxtor One Touch external hard drive. There is a button on it that you press and it automatically backs up your system.

I have one of those for backing up my development work.

Works nicely.

I usually do a weekly back up then store the drive in my safe.

When my house got robbed and my computer (and all other expensive electronic stuff) got stolen in June, having that backup saved my butt.

incka
09-08-2004, 12:49 PM
My suggestion: Move away from a city into rural canada. Less crime there. :p

I might get one... Depends on how much I earn in December. If it's over 5k profit I will...

freekrai
09-08-2004, 02:49 PM
My suggestion: Move away from a city into rural canada. Less crime there. :p

I might get one... Depends on how much I earn in December. If it's over 5k profit I will...

I grew up in rural Canada before I moved to Kelowna. City's only got about 100,000. But also has the distinct privilage of one of the highest crime rates in Western Canada.

I'd probably move, if I didn't like it here so much.

Oh well, at least this time I've got content insurance to cover the new stuff I had to buy to replace the stuff that got stolen.

We border the only desert in Canada, so that gives us the most unique climates. 40 degree summers.... very little snow... But some of the best snowboarding in the country at the same time.