PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Content Question

ozgression
09-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Does Google consider a printable version of a page to be duplicate content?

For example, if I have an search engine friendly article, then a link to a search engine friendly printable version of the article (obviously on the same website) would it cause a problem?

eg:

domain.com/article.htm
domain.com/printable_article.htm

Thanks...
________
Mazda 626 history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_626)

Chris
09-02-2004, 08:59 PM
I've never seen such a thing, but many deny search engines access to printable versions. If the printable version happens to come up first instead you lose revenue.

A more elegant solution though is to check the referrer on the printable version and if it is not your own site, redirect to the normal version.

ozgression
09-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Good suggestion. Thanks Chris.

The reason why I want the printable version of the article to be SE friendly is to double the amount of content (pages) that Google spiders etc... But I don't want to find out the hard way that they frown upon it :)
________
Suzuki RL250 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_RL250)

incka
09-03-2004, 12:40 AM
Make the printable versions www.domain.com/printable/article_name.php
and use robots.txt to deny access to the printable folder.

r2d2
09-03-2004, 01:28 AM
Dont think theres really much point doubling your content, when its literally just a copy. Its not gonna gain you any more SERP positions like adding new content would. And just has headaches like these. And if one copy helped, why not two, or ten?

Mike
09-03-2004, 09:06 AM
The point of a printable version is so there is JUST the content, and no ads or design. It will save the user ink, and may make it easier to read. I like the idea of printable versions, even if they don't help on rankings.

intelliot
09-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Indeed. It improves usability. It will not be considered duplicate content in a negative sense. It won't hurt or help you in the long run, search engine-wise.