PDA

View Full Version : Google Image Search

cameron
08-25-2004, 02:39 PM
My video games site is getting the majority of it's traffic from Google Image Search, but I'm thinking that many of those people quite possibly just few the image instead of going to the site. I know I've seen sites breakaway from the Google frame before, so I think that might be my best option. Does anyone know what code I would use for this, or where I could find something to help me out?

intelliot
08-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Bad idea IMHO, I hate as an image searcher to run into a site that breaks out of frames. It defeats the purpose of Google using frames at all...

Instead you could try attracting them into the site with some other unique content, make sure it's above the fold... not a great suggestion, I know, but I just wanted to say that I dislike sites that automatically like to break themselves out of frames.

Chris
08-26-2004, 08:26 AM
just search for "frame busting javascript" its only one or two lines of code.

AndyH
08-27-2004, 08:25 PM
In the <head> tags:

<script language="JavaScript">
if (top.location.href != location.href)
top.location.href = location.href;
</script>

<script language=javascript type=text/javascript>
<!--
if(parent.frames.length)
top.location.href= document.location;
// -->
</script>

Used to use that for unrelated reasons, I think it will work.

mobilebadboy
08-27-2004, 08:39 PM
The 2 lines of code I like are:

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: /

Google doesn't need to pull images from my sites for any reason, and Google or not, I don't need someone framing my site as they wish.

AndyH
08-27-2004, 08:43 PM
The 2 lines of code I like are:

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: /

Google doesn't need to pull images from my sites for any reason, and Google or not, I don't need someone framing my site as they wish.

I believe they still want their images indexed, just when they are viewed there is no Google frame.

uidesigner
01-30-2008, 07:42 AM
I think Google should remove the frame feature in Image searches. It interrupts the user experience. They don't use a frame with text searches so why should they use it with images. I hope when blended searches become more common they remove it.