PDA

View Full Version : Links

Mike
05-03-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi guys,

If I place a link to another website on my site, does my PR drop a little? Just read one of the articles on here (forgot which one), and seen something which I thought presumed that...

Cheers,
Mike:)

Chris
05-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Outgoing links do not directly hurt the page they are on.

However, the overall PageRank power of your site will decrease when you add outgoing links simply because less PR will be flowing down your internal links.

Sometimes you lose so little it isn't a big deal, such as when you have 1 external link on a page with 20 internal links.

Linking to another site on every page of your site, or to have a page on your site where external links outnumber internal ones, would be two ways to drastically reduce the PR flowing around your site.

Mike
05-04-2003, 02:44 AM
So, say if I have a links section on my template site. On every page of the site there is about 25 links, but they are only categories of the templates. If I enforce this links section, would my PR go down as the links aren't really keywords.

Another thing about links... You have said in your article to get the google toolbar, and find your competitors page and find out all the backward links. I typed in 'website templates' in google, and found out the backward links for it. It was all going well up until now, but then I saw around 2000 backward links for the site! Am I meant to go onto each site and ask every author if they can link to me?!

By the way, thanks for all your help so far Chris!

Mike

Chris
05-04-2003, 06:06 AM
Chances are alot of those backwards links are internal, so no, you wouldn't be asking 2000 people to link to you.

If you run a links page on your site your best bet is to only link to it from your home page (don't link to it from every page on your site) and then include as many internal links on that page as you can.

Mike
05-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Is there anyway to find out weather they are internal or not?

Chris
05-04-2003, 10:33 AM
You can just look and see.

Mike
05-04-2003, 10:35 AM
OK - thanks for all the help Chris:)

BTW - Like those new articles...