PDA

View Full Version : Rogers and Sympatico play a big role, I think.

thebillionaire
08-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Just checked out the ranking for google on alexa, google's 3rd now, yahoo being first and msn second. I think yahoo "teaming" with rogers and msn teaming up with sympatico helped the sites get a higher rank I think. Can't see any other reasons why google would drop.

intelliot
08-24-2004, 11:04 PM
for MSN, I know of one reason: Windows XP SP2

a massive rollout is taking place for 90% of computers and it sets their homepage to MSN, adds IE shortcuts in the Quick Launch bar and start menu, Windows Media Player powered by MSN content, etc.

thebillionaire
08-25-2004, 07:41 AM
Why does windows sp2 play a role?

incka
08-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Passport.net is high. I think whenever you sign onto MSN Messenger it goes to that.

thebillionaire
08-25-2004, 02:27 PM
I heard msn is comming out with its own search engine, and is not going to use the one yahoo (or google) is powering.

intelliot
08-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Why does windows sp2 play a role?
I said so in my post, the same post I mentioned sp2...

a massive rollout is taking place for 90% of computers and it sets their homepage to MSN, adds IE shortcuts in the Quick Launch bar and start menu, Windows Media Player powered by MSN content, etc.

of course this is just a theory loosely based on experience, i cannot say for certain.

intelliot
08-25-2004, 08:30 PM
I heard msn is comming out with its own search engine, and is not going to use the one yahoo (or google) is powering.

i am rather sure they are already doing this (and have been for some time)... they had a tech preview months ago and their search engine doesn't have any "powered by" logos.