PDA

View Full Version : Managing your sites

r2d2
08-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Have just got some proper resller hosting and am sorting out my few sites. With all the different FTP accounts, email accounts, databases etc, Im wondering if there is an easier way, and how you guys manage all your different domains.

Do you have a separate account for each one? Or just use addon domains with one main domain, so you only have 1 FTP account etc?

Have just gone from a 10 domain account with cPanel, to a reseller account with WHM and a cPanel for each domain.

chromate
08-23-2004, 11:00 AM
I treat each site completely separately. So 1 ftp account for each site etc.

r2d2
08-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Yeah, ive begun setting them up that way, as it would seem to be the best, guess its ok having loads of accounts and passwords etc if you dont move your hosting very often - after this move, think I will stick wth BlueWho for a while!

Mike
08-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I usually just use one ftp for each site etc. Email wise I'm beginning to direct most sites to my sitestem.com one. This isn't always the best way for some sites though.

ozgression
08-23-2004, 09:30 PM
I treat each site completely separately. So 1 ftp account for each site etc.

Yeah, that's what I do.

As for remembering passwords etc., I write them down (although you have to be careful where you store this type of information).
________
iolite vaporizer review (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

mobilebadboy
08-23-2004, 09:42 PM
All my sites are separate, but contained under one account. I have a master account with my host, but every other site is a resold account under it because I get a discount that way. Each has it's own CP though, and I occasionally forget the login name for some of them.

I have FTPs for each of my sites, but BulletProof FTP keeps them all organized for me. I just double click the one I want to connect to, and it logs in and sets the local and remote directories I have set. I have that list exported and backed up.

I have an email address set for each. All told I think I have 16 or 17 email addresses now, lol. But that includes a couple of Comcast addresses, all of my sites, and sites I run for other people. And one for eXtremepixels. If I ever decide to move to a business entity, I'm going to just setup one page on that site to cover email for all of the sites, and then redirects them back to the site they came from.

r2d2
08-24-2004, 02:31 AM
Ah that bulletproof FTP sounds good, will have to take a look, I use FTP commander at the moment, just because it does everything I want and not much more. I like the idea of having local directory part of the server properties though.

Chris
08-24-2004, 11:00 AM
I use WS_FTP pro, it organizes it all like mobilebadboy's does.

chromate
08-24-2004, 03:50 PM
I use CuteFTP which is great with multiple sites.

Shawn
08-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Nope. I beat you all. CoffeeCup FTP.

Simply the best editor out there, without a doubt.

AndyH
08-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Another one for WS_FTP Pro. It does a good job for me. :)

intelliot
08-24-2004, 11:10 PM
I use DA (DirectAdmin) on my dedicated server and its multiple domain support is awesome, beats CPanel by a long shot. I also have a CPanel reseller account but the addon domain function seems sloppy and doesn't let that domain function independently (among other things).

The other nice thing about DA is that it logs things and automatically sends Welcome emails for new accounts, without all the quirks that CPanel has.

When you set up FTP accounts you can choose the account's home directory which determines which domains you can access.

Paths are nice too, always /home/username/domains/example.com/ (replace example.com for all of your domains)

I manage a dedicated server so if anyone is interested in some reseller space on my server let me know. for WebsitePublisher members I'd do it for little-to-no profit.