PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate content and link popularity.

chromate
09-01-2003, 05:31 AM
In an attempt to build link popularity on a site I'm planning, I was thinking about making some of the articles available for other webmasters to use on their own site. The condition would be that my site would be credited by way of a link at the end of the article.

I'm not too sure about this. I'm a bit worried about being penalized by the search engines for having duplicate content. Do you think this could be a problem?

Cheers,

Richard.

Chris
09-01-2003, 07:06 AM
I've never noticed it to be a problem because usually places will make their own small edits -- and atleast they have a different header and footer.

There are dozens of sites that have the exact same complete works of shakespeare that I do -- but I still have no problems getting ranked.

chromate
09-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Ok. Not being too experienced with web publishing I might hold back on giving away articles right away. The thought of having loads of articles that I've spent time writing flying around the web without much control is kinda worrying.

I think I'll build as many backward links as possible first and then work on getting sites to use my articles when I have a bit more time to exercise some controll over the process.

Cheers for the reply Chris.