PDA

View Full Version : Which keywords should we choose?

Ronny
08-20-2004, 04:07 AM
Hi guys,
Sorry I wasn't here for a few months, was kinda busy with a lot of work and websites... :)

We (me and my partner) have reopened our primary content site, Websitefaq.com, about a week ago.

Now, we want to get to the top of the results for some popular keywords... But it's kinda hard finding what these keywords are, and then to think of the best text links we would like our partners to have... Can you please help me with that matter?

The site is a large database of web developing realted FAQs. HTML, CSS, PHP, Photoshop, if we have some writers and contents (ehm, Chris, are you busy right now? ;-)) we will open SEO, promotion and money sections, we also give free .com/.net.org domains for 30 faqs, and we have a SHOCKING printer-friendly version for EACH FAQ!

Wow, I was carried away with my excitement. Sorry 'bout that ;-) :cool: :eek:

Anyway, what are the most popular keywords, or the best keywords for us to choose? When I know that I'll put them everywhere - Titles, links, ALTs, <h1>s, you know...

Thanks in advance,
Ronny.

intelliot
08-20-2004, 12:52 PM
I think one term you'll definitely want is "Website FAQ"

ozgression
08-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Do some research at http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion
________
buy vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

Ronny
08-21-2004, 11:16 AM
I know the digitalpoint's suggestion tool, but I don't know where to start, I can't find anything good enough. "faq" is preety popular but is too general.

Intelliot, "Website FAQ", accorindg to that tool, isn't popular enough.. But can we rely on this tool? Any ideas?

paul
08-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Ronny, you live in a country where the buildings rest on top of 7,000+ years of history. There must be other interesting topics to build a website around. How about a tourism website review. How about a website dedicated to directions to the nearest clean public restroom at the tourist hot spots. How about maps, pictures etc. that would show how a handicaped tourist can reach a particular site. There must be many things a local in a hot tourist area knows that visitors would like to find out about.

I'm starting to have visions of lemmings jumping into the sea; every young geek in the world wants to do a web related site.

Ronny-Nothing personal, I have been thinking this for a long time.

James
08-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Paul, do you see his domain name?
That's a great name!

paul
08-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Great names are like great ideas -- worth nothing until they are developed. I should know, I have 200 of them :)

I generate a nice little side income from a search term wordtracker says get only 165 searches per day.

I'm just trying to say it's a big world out there with lots of fun and interesting niches waiting for someone to come along and enjoy them Why go up against such heavy duty competition if you don't have to? I like being the top frog in my little ponds.

Ronny
08-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Paul, thanks for your last reply...
I totally agree with it - The name isn't enough, I'm happy to read that you can make nice income without wordtracker reporting about tons of queries per day, and I quite dislike little nose-bleeding kids who dunno HTML and want to build the next SitePoint and ending up with another "How-to-make-this-kewl-scanlines-effect-in-photoshop" tutorial site. And of course I'm not counting myself as one of them.

As to your first post, it's quite offending. "Nothing personal". Oh, that's great. Well Paul, I don't have the need to prove myself or my website for you - Unless you're one of my visitors.

And about ideas for niche sites - Thank you, but right now I have enough, and I'm currently not looking for new ones. I have a great niche site, the Israeli "24" fansite ( www.24fans.co.il , it's in Hebrew but you're invited to tell what you think about the design), which is now participating in the contest "Site of the Year" (published at all major newspapers, portals, etc.).
Tourism in Israel? I feel sorry to say that, but it's not popular enough. Since the terror attackes started at 2k there are just not enough tourists here. I live in Jerusalem, the most ancient city in the world (3,000 years), but that doesn't mean this is my one and only topic of interest!

"Why go up against such heavy duty competition if you don't have to?" -My answer to that is simple. Because I can.
I don't want you to understand this wrongly - I'm just saying that in my narrow type of web-dev site, WebDev FAQs and only faqs, There is almost no competition. That doesn't mean now I expect you all to become my new competitors ;-), but hey - It's a free country :-P

Seriously, the competition at the FAQ area is something I can handle... We know what we're doing. Thanks for your answer anyway :-P :)

AndyH
08-22-2004, 12:19 AM
A tiny bit off-topic but i'll post it here -

If it isn't too much trouble to change, I think you should use -'s instead of underscores in links to the specific FAQs. :)

James
08-22-2004, 12:21 AM
I live in Jerusalem, the most ancient city in the world (3,000 years)
Weren't Egypt and Rome and Greece and all them older? Egypt was around at about 3100 BCE (Before Common Era; the new thing to use instead of Before Christ for those who may not have heard)

I'll take it from the 24 site that they read text backwards in Isreal.. interesting. Are browser scrollbars on the left there too?

Paul, a problem I saw right off the bat with what you said was that a great domain name is being developed and hopefully into a great website. It's a bit of a contradiction in it's self to say "Great names are like great ideas -- worth nothing until they are developed"

Ronny
08-22-2004, 03:21 AM
Well, as far as I know no, Jerusalem is the most ancient. But hey, what the heck. :-P

Yeah, Hebrew is written from right-to-left (direction: rtl; in CSS), and the scollbars should be on the left side too, but it's up to the webmaster to decide.

AndyH, is "-" better than "_" ? Is there any specific reason to change this?

Thanks for both of you guys.

intelliot
08-24-2004, 11:25 PM
Intelliot, "Website FAQ", accorindg to that tool, isn't popular enough.. But can we rely on this tool? Any ideas?
I say that only because once you have some brand recognition people will think "Website FAQ" when thinking of your site and type it in Google. if you appear first you will permeate an image of authority on your topic