PDA

View Full Version : Members Only Area and Moderators

michael_gersitz
08-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Any chance of us seeing either of those 2 things in the future? :D

intelliot
08-18-2004, 12:25 PM
No moderators? Never noticed before... very well-behaved members on this forum :)

incka
08-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Chris doesn't need mods because he is very interested in the topic of the site.

You have put moderators too early on fry forums in my opinion, even giving someone super moderator status after only two posts.

I think a members only area for members selected by the other members is best, to stop people who don't post much and lurkers seeing secrets. I don't think Michael and I want many people knowing about that college humor traffic.

michael_gersitz
08-18-2004, 02:37 PM

You have put moderators too early on fry forums in my opinion, even giving someone super moderator status after only two posts.

I think a members only area for members selected by the other members is best, to stop people who don't post much and lurkers seeing secrets. I don't think Michael and I want many people knowing about that college humor traffic.

Feel free to resign if you do not want to be a moderator. I do not want moderators that do not like my decisions.

Member Area has been talked about before, I haven't heard a answer on it yet.

I don't think Michael and I want many people knowing about that college humor traffic.

Then why would you keep posting it?

Chris
08-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Mods aren't needed. If the site grows to a level where I can't keep up with things I'll make them.

A members only area has it's merits and it's downsides. I will consider it.

Kyle
08-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Any good webmaster in that field knows about the collegehumor traffic, as well as places like Fark. Thats why I posted it in General Chat, to share the info. Incka it is weird of you to refer to the collegehumor.com traffic source as some secret between you and Michael. When both of you contacted me over instant message asking for more and more details.

Incka are you a lurker? What secrets have you contributed? What ideas have you stolen from other members?

Thats the nature of the game. A private area is pointless.

Emancipator
08-19-2004, 11:06 AM
is it stealing when we openly post it? There are no original ideas, only interpretations of them. Good post Icebane.. i tend to agree.

pulsetoday
08-20-2004, 06:30 PM

I will second Sean on this post! :)

incka
08-21-2004, 03:52 AM
Icebane - I posted about getting PR from Wikipedia a while ago. I've given a gmail invite to a member here. I've answered loads of peoples questions.

Loads of people who own humor sites that I know who saw that post were telling me to keep quiet about it. The more people who know the less chance of getting in. I thank you very much for telling us about it, but I was saying perhaps we would prefer lurkers here not to know about such things. We've seen lurkers before copying sites - Just ask Shawn Weeks.

Kyle
08-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Having something ORIGINAL and truly entertaining to collegehumor.com visitors will always be accepted. I'm sorry I do not care about the numerous cloned gaming sites that may not be able to submit their games in the future.

James
08-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Heh, I agree, somewhat; they probably get enough Penguin Clubbing submissions...

Mike
08-22-2004, 03:12 AM

Didn't you put mods on your literature forums immediately?

MarkB
08-23-2004, 03:42 AM
If you don't want 'lurkers' stealing your ideas, then simply don't post them. These are public forums, and if you have a great resource that you want other members to know about, but don't want it PUBLIC, then PM them.

A members-only area might be beneficial IF it was there for a reason other than satisfying a clique (not to say that would be Chris's intention, just based on other sites I've seen).

Oh well, back to my holidays :D

James
08-23-2004, 03:45 AM
True, like WebmasterWorld's 'smarter people'.

I figure I'll just buy a month of the supporters forum there and just take in all of the information I can.

Percept
08-23-2004, 05:38 AM
True, like WebmasterWorld's 'smarter people'.

I figure I'll just buy a month of the supporters forum there and just take in all of the information I can.

I don't see what you could find on webmasterworld that you couldn't find anywhere else. I don't think it's worth it.