PDA

View Full Version : Need help about your secret behind traffic

pierrebenoit
08-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi,

While building websites, I have one big problem: Traffic.
I wonder how people get free traffic to their websites. I read here that some have 1000+ per day... this is a dream for me.

Please, can you tell me how to bring traffic to my websites?

Dan Morgan
08-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Quite a broad question to ask :)

Read this website from 'cover' to 'cover' (www.websitepublisher.net)

In a nutshell, work at getting in and higher up in the search engines, work at providing content which yields repeat visitors and work at building incoming links for the sake of traffic.

If you are building content sites for the sake of building them then it doesn't hurt to think about your sites topic before moving forward.

Blue Cat Buxton
08-16-2004, 05:51 AM
You need time as well. (unless you have a "critical mass" of PR like Chris :D )

Time for the site to become established, time to build on link exchanges, time for it to move up the search engines.

tomek
08-16-2004, 06:52 AM
Need help about your secret behind traffic

there is no secret...

Bojhan
08-18-2004, 10:20 AM
i think time is the secret, you will need to take some time to do all the normal promotion stuff

Kyle
08-18-2004, 10:36 AM
The secret is this special serial number you hide in your HTML code. If you have that serial number, Google ranks you higher. I wont tell you the number though, you'll have to find it yourself.

Chris
08-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Time is one thing. But size also matters. The best way to get more traffic is to add more content.

Yoda
08-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Chris is dead-on...each page contains something that someone might at some point search for. Each page is its own little traffic lightning-rod...branch out far enough, and all those little random, barely-searched-for phrases, which just happen to be on your pages, really start to add up. Deeply-crawled forums are a good example of this.

Other than that, as others have said, time is crucial. If you were to rank my sites by traffic, and then by date of launch, they'd come out pretty much in the same order.

intelliot
08-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Those are great tips for free SE traffic. On the other hand, there are advertising campaigns.
1) PPC
2) Banners
3) Text links
and each of these have their own pros and cons.

incka
08-18-2004, 01:51 PM
The secret is this special serial number you hide in your HTML code. If you have that serial number, Google ranks you higher. I wont tell you the number though, you'll have to find it yourself.

This is a joke, right?

Kyle
08-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Ya, I'm being a post monkey.

incka
08-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Chris is dead-on...each page contains something that someone might at some point search for. Each page is its own little traffic lightning-rod...branch out far enough, and all those little random, barely-searched-for phrases, which just happen to be on your pages, really start to add up. Deeply-crawled forums are a good example of this.

Other than that, as others have said, time is crucial. If you were to rank my sites by traffic, and then by date of launch, they'd come out pretty much in the same order.

Therefore the most popular sites on the web will include the whole of wikipedia, a dictionary and have a forum with over a million posts. Plus any automated randon sentence page generator script will help.

I think not.

But I agree content is always good, the more quality relevant content on a site compared with it's competition the more visitors compared to its competition.

incka
08-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Ya, I'm being a post monkey.

I prefer the term post whore.

Work monkey is a good one with monkey in. I put those dancing bananas around it...

Kyle
08-18-2004, 01:58 PM
It's funny you said whore because that was the original word I wanted to use in that thread. I didn't want to offend people by saying whore though.

tomek
08-18-2004, 02:18 PM

I give you a clue: the cross sum of that number is 42

Percept
08-18-2004, 02:30 PM
This is a joke, right?

Incka how long have you been here ... I can't believe you asked that :p

Kyle
08-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Actually the cross sum is 17.
3+1+3+3+7

I just gave out the secret!

Percept
08-18-2004, 02:31 PM
strange, I'm not seeing any ads on IE

r2d2
08-18-2004, 02:49 PM
You gotta 'be elite' I think - assuming thats what 31337 means...

I was surprised Incka asked too :) Everyone knows you can see the HTML for any page dont they? ;)

tomek
08-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Actually the cross sum is 17.
3+1+3+3+7

I just gave out the secret!

my sources tell me that putting the word "noob" in the meta tags helps too

James
08-19-2004, 12:40 AM
You also have to say "Pwnz0rd!" in regards to several hundred thousand people at the bottom of each page, causing the scroll bar to be smaller than a toothpick.
However, it's best to shoot for several million people, as this will often be enough to crash many computers.