PDA

View Full Version : review my new design

nohaber
08-13-2004, 04:24 AM
I have totally redesigned my software site. I need your opinions on the new design: x3msoftware (http://www.x3msoftware.com)

Mike
08-13-2004, 04:36 AM
Really like it, nice and clean.

Something I would suggest is a hover colour for your links. Just doesn't make the page look as still.

chromate
08-13-2004, 05:29 AM
It's ok, but a bit plain. You definitely need to use an accent colour, ie, hints of another colour in addition to the blue.

MarkB
08-13-2004, 05:36 AM
Agreed - a couple of colour photos would go well, too :) And a screenshot!

nohaber
08-13-2004, 05:54 AM
10x for the tips. I'll see what I can do.

Emancipator
08-13-2004, 07:02 AM
I like "clean designs". And yours fits the billl. Only thing i would do differently is stick a photo or screenshot top left.. to balance the page.

Just my 2 cents :)

livingelegant
08-13-2004, 07:22 AM
I like clean designs too, but I think a liitle more imagery would help.

chromate
08-13-2004, 08:43 AM
For all the people that say they like clean designs, you might find this collection inspiring. I know I do! ... http://textbased.com/~minimalist/

Mike
08-13-2004, 08:59 AM
I like it chromate :)

Your quite a "clean" designer, is that where you get your ideas from?

chromate
08-13-2004, 09:24 AM
When I started doing my own designs, that's the site that I drew a lot of my inspiration from. I don't really go looking for ideas as such anymore. I just play around until I get something that looks half decent.

I find designing quite a painful process, as I'm never really satisfied with the final result. That said, I wouldn't pay anyone else to design for me because it wouldn't feel like it was "mine" even though I would "own" the design. Stupid really, because it would be cheaper in terms of time to get someone else to do the designs.

I'm like that with most things in life though. I hate paying people to do stuff for me. I would rather try and acquire the skills to do the work myself. It's costly though, because obviously while learning, a lot of mistakes are made along the way.

I should take into consideration that "time is money" more often than I do.

... anyway, I've really gone off on a tangent there! :)

paul
08-13-2004, 09:45 AM
I should take into consideration that "time is money" more often than I do.

Rule #1 Don't "should" on yourself :)