PDA

View Full Version : My AWS "variation"

Emancipator
08-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Not really an AWS site at all. I took the fine system built here that impresses the hell out of me and built it into my movies page.

Ive automated it since i have hundreds of movies on my site and didnt want to make more work for myself. What it does is look at what movie the user is looking at and then pull the relevant dvd's off of Amazon.

Examples
http://moviesonline.ca/movie_details.php?movie=Spider%20Man
http://moviesonline.ca/movie_details.php?movie=Hellboy

I am using jpcache to cache it so that it only asks amazon every 30mins vs every visit for new data.

Opinions welcome. Thanks :)

Mike
08-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Nice :) Really like the layout and the amazon products down the right.

If your bothered about search engine traffic, I'd make those urls a bit more friendlier.

incka
08-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Make a button for saying movies are crap.

Emancipator
08-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Nice :) Really like the layout and the amazon products down the right.

If your bothered about search engine traffic, I'd make those urls a bit more friendlier.

WE get a pile of traffic but you are absolutely right. Googl has no problem spidering my single variables, but it just looks like crap which is why im redoing it.. That and although i get piles of google traffic i get 0 yahoo traffic. me thinks its my urls.. lol

I have done the news, and am working on the directors, movies, etc. I am new to mod re-write so its "fun learning" :)

And incka the "watchable" feature I am updating to add more toys and gizmos to.. its on my long to do list.

I spent a few days on this design and coding it so i appreciate your positive feedback.

Emancipator
08-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Couple of things i changed based on comments

made the urls shorter using mod re-write. Google is spidering me more frequently it would seem then before which is cool. Example http://moviesonline.ca/movienews_786.html

On the voting I also redid it so that you can vote "worth watching" "not worth watching" and also redid the top 10 list on each category so it shows the most voted, but the percentage of voting FOR the film http://moviesonline.ca/movie12.htm

Thanks for the feedback!

Kyle
08-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Yahoo has been a jerk at banning affiliate sites. They won't ban your entire domain, just the pages that are affiliate based. They might be banning Amazin affiliates who have linking code on their pages.

Yahoo can crawl dynamic sites also with variables in URLs.

Emancipator
08-16-2004, 09:27 AM
im not sure what you are trying to say. If your refering to the amazon content that is very new... as in the last week. The site has never done well in yahoo while ranking on top of google.

We will see if the mod re-write helps that. MY site is NOT an affiilate site, it is a news site, with some VERY small affiliate content on one page.

Thanks for your comments.

Kyle
08-16-2004, 09:32 AM
I was commenting on your Yahoo comment. Yahoo DOES ban pages that link to Commission Junction and Linkshare affiliate URLs (like qksrv.net, and linksynergy.com variations). I am not sure with Amazon affiliate links.

Your movie pages link to Amazon pages with your ID landsoflore-20. You now might be an affiliate site according to Yahoo.

Maybe someone who actually knows whether Yahoo also bans pages that link to Amazon can provide some guidance here.

Emancipator
08-16-2004, 09:37 AM
i see where your coming from but i doubt that is my problem. This aws addon is way to new for that to be what kept me off the yahoo listings.

Thanks for your feedback.

intelliot
08-16-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised Yahoo would do such a thing. This should certainly negatively impact the quality of their search results, because many content sites use a little CJ/Linkshare on the side to pay for hosting costs.

Emancipator
08-16-2004, 05:08 PM
indeed.. it is interesting, all be it NOT my issue since as you know elliot I just added this feature.

But it also is total nonsense to penalize a site with CJ or linkshare content.