PDA

View Full Version : Which TLD is better?

Blue Cat Buxton
08-12-2004, 02:00 AM
OK, for a domain name im interested in, the .com has gone.

All the others are available, so which is best to get.

.net

.info or

.co.uk

or does it really matter?

r2d2
08-12-2004, 03:03 AM
No difference at all for SEO, just what a user might prefer or remeber, or might not even care/notice.

LuckyShima
08-12-2004, 03:12 AM
is your market UK? if yes, then .co.uk might have more pull than .com, otherwise, if your market is outside uk, maybe stay away from .co.uk

and ... there is a slight difference for SEO because .co.uk will get indexed as a UK site and therefore will be returned for UK searches.

chromate
08-12-2004, 03:26 AM
What is the site's purpose? This is the key thing. If it's an information site, then obviously go with .info... etc tec

ozgression
08-12-2004, 05:39 PM
is your market UK? if yes, then .co.uk might have more pull than .com, otherwise, if your market is outside uk, maybe stay away from .co.uk

Agreed. If uk focused, I'd go for the .co.uk. If not, I'd go for the .info
________
white widow seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

intelliot
08-12-2004, 06:07 PM
If UK site, .co.uk.

If content site, .info.

For others, .net.

No difference in regards to SEO.

Blue Cat Buxton
08-13-2004, 12:56 AM
Thanks all

I guess as I am UK based I have an affinity for .co.uk but in this case I think .info may be better

MarkB
08-13-2004, 01:19 AM
I know I sound like a broken record on this ;) But for rememberance factor (hoping your users can remember your domain without bookmarking it), .info will be a handicap. Most people will assume it's either .com or .co.uk - *maybe* .net. I doubt they'll think of .info unless they're in a userbase that is used to that TLD. This is purely my opinion of course - but in dealing with people who aren't completely net savvy, none of them are aware of TLDs beyond .com/net/org/.co.uk and other major ones.

Blue Cat Buxton
08-13-2004, 01:47 AM
Mark

How many outside of UK would think of .co.uk though?

If it doesnt matter from an SEO perspective (on which we are all agreed :) )

and there is limited benefit in "type it in hits" unless a domain is a .com

Then I might as well go for the .co.uk and get the potential benefit of better localised rankings

Decisions, decisions

MarkB
08-13-2004, 02:00 AM
If you're marketing to people worldwide, then obviously having a .co.uk domain wouldn't make sense.

And I'm not talking about 'type in a word and see if a site's there' - but say your site is called Unlimited Widgets, people will try unlimitedwidgets.com, and other combos, before they try unlimitedwidgets.info (if they every try that at all).

Blue Cat Buxton
08-13-2004, 04:22 AM
Mark

I was using "type in" as you defined it, and agree with your logic.

What it might come down to (for me, in this instance anyway) is finding a not so good .com

Blue Cat Buxton
08-13-2004, 04:26 AM
HA

Just checked . the domain with hypens in is available as a .com :)

Ill get that instead.

Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees

moonshield
09-26-2004, 01:02 PM
in my experiance...the average person does not look at .com and .info or .ws in the same way. People I know seem to only consider .org .com .net for their information and sites. I personally like .info though and have a few