PDA

View Full Version : silly registration question

anthoney
08-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi, I'm new to all of this so I have a question about domain registration. Is it better to register your domain separately, or is it oK to register with your hosting company? I think I'm going with hostony for my hosting but I didn't know if I would still hold all the rights to the domain name if I ever decided to leave them. Any info would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthoney

chromate
08-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Welcome to WP.

You would probably own the domain but I would seperate the two. That way, if you are disapointed with your host and don't want to give them any more business, you don't end up having to transfer a load of domains (which is sometimes costly).

Domains are easy to set up, so don't let that worry you.

You will likely get a lot of opinions about which domain reg to use. I use namecheap.com - it's cheap and very well put together.

If you get stuck, just ask. There're loads of people here that can help.

anthoney
08-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the info Chromate! That helps alot!

Anthoney

intelliot
08-09-2004, 11:46 PM
I agree, it is best to separate the two. Domain providers know their business and hosting people know theirs. It gives you better flexibility and it's much better in the event you choose to change hosts.

anthoney
08-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Cool, thanks! My name has now been registered at namecheap. Thanks again for the help.

Anthoney