PDA

View Full Version : Cheat codes and lyrics copier

kingsimon999
08-03-2004, 12:43 PM
I am doing some experimenting with trying to find or create a programme that will use a template page of my website and place the content in for me.

e.g. I have created a template page for Colossal Cheats, my new site, but now i need to find the cheats from other websites. This will be a task of copying and pasting cheats onto about 600 or so pages.

But instead of repeating the same actions for each cheat page I was hoping I could find or create a programme which will copy the content for me.

Anyone have any ideas of whether it is possible to do this? or just point me in the right direction?

I was thinking along the lines of a macro type action.

Thanks in advance

MarkB
08-03-2004, 12:55 PM
So you want help to steal other sites' content?

incka
08-03-2004, 01:13 PM
But it's not there content.

I would pay hundreds for a script that could do this.

kingsimon999
08-03-2004, 01:32 PM
steal content - lol
Every PS2 cheat is the same - they are not unique
this is the same case with lyrics, all i am suggesting is a script which could speed up the process.

AndyH
08-03-2004, 03:00 PM
So you want help to steal other sites' content?

Cheats and Lyrics arn't copyright to the website owner - Walkthroughts and the likes are, however.

But it's not there content.

I would pay hundreds for a script that could do this.

I made one for me, very simple actually.

kingsimon999
08-03-2004, 03:34 PM
I made one for me, very simple actually.

Would you be able to point me into the right direction of what I would need to use and create the script. Would i have to know a programming language?

eMEraLdwPn
08-03-2004, 04:15 PM
i can make you one if you want... depending how much you're willing to pay of course... ;-)

MarkB
08-03-2004, 10:43 PM
When did I say that the content is copyright? Fact is, the site has gone to the trouble to build up its collection of cheats, and here you guys are quite happy to just rip it in one foul swoop. What's wrong with actually putting some effort in? :rolleyes:

AndyH
08-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Would you be able to point me into the right direction of what I would need to use and create the script. Would i have to know a programming language?

Yes you would.

When did I say that the content is copyright? Fact is, the site has gone to the trouble to build up its collection of cheats, and here you guys are quite happy to just rip it in one foul swoop. What's wrong with actually putting some effort in? :rolleyes:

By effort do you mean "spending weeks adding cheats one by one and doing the exact same thing as if you made a script do it for you"?

I don't have time to do that, exspecially to make a website on a saturated category which will probably make little money.

Personally, I don't find anything wrong in taking non-copyright/non-IP material and I don't see why I should.

eMEraLdwPn
08-04-2004, 12:27 AM
as far as lyrics go, it's painfully obvious that every site just copies and pastes from each other anyway, as there are the same typos and mistakes on 9 out of 10 sites... whether they're actually copying / pasting, or using a script to take them, i have no idea, but i know which one is a lot easier...

kingsimon999
08-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Which script or programming language would I have to know?
would you ever let me look at the script? I doubt it, but worth a try

thanks

incka
08-04-2004, 10:43 AM
If someone can make one for me I can pay quite a nice sum...

intelliot
08-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Make a script? Contact me and I'll see what I can do.

kingsimon999
08-04-2004, 02:02 PM
I am very interested in a script

AndyH
08-04-2004, 03:05 PM
I have made mine in Perl with the LWP module.

It can be done in PHP very easily too.

kingsimon999
08-04-2004, 03:57 PM
I have heard that Preg_match is used with the script using PHP - anybody know anymore?
Anyone know if there is any script that has been published on the web similar to this?
Andy wanna show ur script?

eMEraLdwPn
08-04-2004, 10:40 PM
i just used PHP, it was fairly simple

kingsimon999
08-05-2004, 06:26 AM
I am not used to using PHP that much, any specific code should I be looking at?
Anywhere on the web that will help me make this script?

incka
08-05-2004, 06:36 AM
I want one in PHP.

jonbraswell
08-07-2004, 11:45 PM
I'd love to have software like that, but that doesn't make it right.

I try to stay away from unethical things such as that.

You should too.

Mike
08-08-2004, 01:47 AM
I've made something which gets all the links off a page before. I'd never do something like this though. If I was the webmaster you were copying off, I wouldn't be happy.

Also the webmaster would probably know, by looking at his traffic stats. It's gonna have all the same IP's for ALL his cheats. Not many people at all look at all the cheats on one site.

incka
08-08-2004, 03:36 AM
You would anyway if your copying his cheats by hand.

MarkB
08-08-2004, 05:21 AM
Then how about not copying them?

incka
08-08-2004, 06:10 AM
They have copied other sites to get the cheats.

Your just too ethical in your business.

MarkB
08-08-2004, 06:24 AM
I think that response says more about you, than it does about me. I'm done.

incka
08-08-2004, 07:21 AM
I'm ethical in non-business life (I'm a vegan) but in business life its flaming dog eat flaming dog.

michael_gersitz
08-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Your just too ethical in your business.

Yeah, it is okay for your to copy cheats, etc. but when someone copies a couple graphics from you...

You have copied my graphics. I give you until Saturday the 7th of August 2004 at 15:00 GMT to remove all my graphics and other items or my company, to which the graphics are property of will seek legal advice.

What is the difference?

Are you allowed to copy, but people not allowed to copy off you?

Mike
08-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Heh, saw that post. Very good point michael.

incka
08-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Cheats were not made by those websites. My graphics were made by me. See the difference?

michael_gersitz
08-08-2004, 03:27 PM
uh, no.

That means I can steal them from the site who stole them from you? And you wouldn't mind at all? The design was not made by them so it is okay if I copy them. I will get started right away on games3go.co.uk

paul
08-08-2004, 03:37 PM
So, if I copy the graphics from the guy who got them from you, it's OK?

AndyH
08-08-2004, 10:43 PM
So, if I copy the graphics from the guy who got them from you, it's OK?

Quite different - the graphics are his intellectual property while the cheats arn't. Stealing the design of the cheats site you could compare.

incka
08-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Thank you Andy :)

michael_gersitz
08-09-2004, 05:23 AM
But that means that I can steal all the content off of sean debtmanagement guide, since he did not wirte it?

AndyH
08-09-2004, 05:39 AM
If it is public domain information then yes, you can. Same goes for Chris's wilderness survival information.

Though it is just wether you want to or not, out of respect/courtesy to them.

Kings
08-09-2004, 06:36 AM
I don't know much about copyright law, but aren't collections copyrighted as well?

Even though the individual cheats/lyrics have no copyright on them; the collection itself does have copyright, which means you can't just go out and completely copy someone else's collection.

At least, that's what I've read somewhere. Can't remember where though.

incka
08-09-2004, 07:20 AM
But that means that I can steal all the content off of sean debtmanagement guide, since he did not wirte it?

Your post in slanderous. I wrote all the text on debt management guide myself.

michael_gersitz
08-09-2004, 08:03 AM
From what sources? Surely you are no expert on Debt, you needed to have sources.

michael_gersitz
08-09-2004, 08:14 AM
I Believe that just because you make up your own content, but base it on another, it is copyright infringement.

Am I correct?

incka
08-09-2004, 08:17 AM
I had several sources. I read articles from different sources for the article I was going to write, then I wrote one from what I had learned.

Kings
08-09-2004, 01:16 PM
http://www.debtmanagementguide.co.uk/article/debt_rights is an almost verbatim copy of http://www.creditcounselingprogram.com/2004_06_18_credit-counseling-archive.htm or the other way around? ;)

Mike
08-09-2004, 01:26 PM
http://www.school-resource.com/ is quite similar to
http://www.online-literature.com ;)

Unless something has been agreed :)

incka
08-09-2004, 02:25 PM
I've actually never seen that site before. I think I got most of my information for that article from the BBC.

michael_gersitz
08-09-2004, 05:24 PM
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

mini
08-09-2004, 06:19 PM
ummm..a lesson to learn, correct me if I'm wrong:

"It's ok to copy, but you do not have to lie about it"

intelliot
08-09-2004, 11:44 PM
You are wrong, as you usually cannot copy copyrighted works...

incka
08-10-2004, 01:16 AM
1) The article is talking about US law.
2) There is nothing in the article which I broke.
3) You are all attacking me because you have nothing better to do, probably because you can't make money on your own websites.
4) I wrote debt management guide myself, using various sources for each article. Most of the sources I used were either copyleft or crown copyright (used for anything but parodys and other misleading things according to that law, opposite to the us law).
5) Cheats and lyrics are copyright. Yes. They are. They are not copyright to the websites that have them though. Oh no. They are copyrighted to whoever made them.

Please stop attacking me on this forum. Website Publisher is supposed to be the friendly version of sitepoint, your turning into a mini-sitepoint. If it continues I will ask Chirs to close the thread as nothing productive is being gained from it.

Kings
08-10-2004, 02:30 AM
http://www.school-resource.com/ is quite similar to
http://www.online-literature.com ;)

Unless something has been agreed :)eh? I get all my content from Wikipedia, and Chris from public domain books or where ever he gets them from (haven't got a clue to be honest).

If you're talking about the design; there are similarities yes, but I haven't copied anything from Chris' site. In fact, I've only seen it twice. One time when I clicked on his signature from SPF, and now that you mention it.

I believe I still have the PSD for my logo as well. If you look at the source code of my website, you'll notice that I use a complete CSS-based layout, while Chris' site uses a table-based layout.

But if Chris has any problems with it, he can drop me an e-mail so we can discuss it in private.

AndyH
08-10-2004, 02:49 AM
Wether you use CSS and Chris uses tables, your design is obviously taken from his Online-Literature.com site.

Your PHPit.net site also uses nearly the exact same design as Dan Grossman's old design for one of his sites. His old design can be seen in the screenshot for WebDevPortal.com at http://www.awio.com/

Kings
08-10-2004, 07:57 AM
Wether you use CSS and Chris uses tables, your design is obviously taken from his Online-Literature.com site.

Your PHPit.net site also uses nearly the exact same design as Dan Grossman's old design for one of his sites. His old design can be seen in the screenshot for WebDevPortal.com at http://www.awio.com/Like I previously said, I have not taken my design from Chris' website, though I do agree that they are very similar. If Chris feels they are too similar he can drop me a message (either PM or e-mail), and I'll respect his wishes.

PHPit has been taken care of as well; thank you for letting me know.

alien
08-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Talk about same design, I have recently come across www.kawio.com using the same design as www.awio.com.

Chris
08-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Like I previously said, I have not taken my design from Chris' website, though I do agree that they are very similar. If Chris feels they are too similar he can drop me a message (either PM or e-mail), and I'll respect his wishes.

PHPit has been taken care of as well; thank you for letting me know.

You have been emailed.

intelliot
08-13-2004, 12:35 AM
Please stop attacking me on this forum. Website Publisher is supposed to be the friendly version of sitepoint, your turning into a mini-sitepoint.
Wait, am I attacking you? If so, I didn't mean to. I honestly didn't mean any offense to you, I was only adding to the discussion what I thought. Actually, I also take back my comment. I agree that WP should be a friendly place and I'll try to keep it that way. :)

kingsimon999
08-18-2004, 03:25 AM
uh, no.

That means I can steal them from the site who stole them from you? And you wouldn't mind at all? The design was not made by them so it is okay if I copy them. I will get started right away on games3go.co.uk

Michael stop sticking your nose into other peoples business.

Just to say aswell that cheats were created by the creators of the game.
For example, Rockstar are the people who made Grand Theft Auto 3. Rockstar allowed cheats to be entered into ther game. Rockstar did not copyright these cheats.
Then if a cheats website publishes these cheats is it illegal to copy from the cheats site?
I believed that it was legal to do this. anyone believe any different?

incka
08-18-2004, 06:13 AM
If you talk to me on MSN I can get you a script you can edit or tell you a programmer who can make one for a three figure amount.

michael_gersitz
08-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Michael stop sticking your nose into other peoples business.

Just to say aswell that cheats were created by the creators of the game.
For example, Rockstar are the people who made Grand Theft Auto 3. Rockstar allowed cheats to be entered into ther game. Rockstar did not copyright these cheats.
Then if a cheats website publishes these cheats is it illegal to copy from the cheats site?
I believed that it was legal to do this. anyone believe any different?

uh, last time I checked this is an open discussion forum that you are allowed to share your opinon. You asked for it.

Anyone have any ideas of whether it is possible to do this? or just point me in the right direction?

I am pointing you in the right direction. This topic has turned into how the cheats are not copyrightted by anyone, then if it is right to copyright them. It justs shows how lazy people are nowadays. They can't even spend some time building up sites nowadays, they need robots to do it for them. :(

paul
08-18-2004, 07:31 AM
I think there is a much broader implication to these comments.

Based on the attitudes displayed in these discussions will potential link exchange partners be confident they will get good value? What I see implies an attitude of "I'll do whatever works for me and if the other guy is to dumb to figure it out, tough."

If I have a successful operation, can I do business with this guy, confident that he won't knowingly do anything that might splash back on me? The answer clearly is no.

It's very helpful to have posters who are so willing to be upfront about their approach to business :)

kingsimon999
08-19-2004, 01:31 PM
sorry michael - i was in a really bad mood that day - jus ignore the post by me above

Dan Grossman
08-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Talk about same design, I have recently come across www.kawio.com using the same design as www.awio.com.

I don't think anybody let me know about that, luckily I ran into this thread in an unrelated search last night. A couple DMCA notices carbon copied to the right people got the account suspended. The only difference between his design and mine (he even took the logo I had designed a mere 6 days ago) is the background image, which he took from my personal site. Ugh. :)

paulfitz
10-17-2004, 07:08 PM
eh? I get all my content from Wikipedia, and Chris from public domain books or where ever he gets them from (haven't got a clue to be honest).

If you took your content from wikipedia, you HAVE broken the terms of the GNU_Free_Documentation_License which the text was made available under.

On each page you should have a link to information about the license and make users aware that they have permission to use the material under the same license.

EDIT: err don't know what page I was looking at - but I see the link to wikipedia and the license on the other pages :D apologies...