PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my first website

Amadeus
08-28-2003, 08:30 PM
Hello everyone,

I just completed an all-Flash site and was wondering if I can get some opinions on it. ASP and an MS Access database power the site and it is by far the largest project I've ever taken on. Let me know what you all think!

www.Amadeuscs.com

Chris
08-29-2003, 07:32 PM
MS Access isn't a good database for a website.

I'm also no big fan of flash - it sucks for SEO.

But I like your design and layout. Alot of times people that use flash over do it and make their menu some kind of game -- they don't realize that if people can't figure out how to navigate your site they'll leave. You don't make that mistake.

From a business perspective I'd wonder why you are trying to sell t shirts and coffee mugs on a consulting websites. Are you in the retail or service industries?

Amadeus
08-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Chris,
Thanks for the info, but I have to say that Flash is where its at. The site is designed for the buisness type consumer, 90% of which have the online connection speed needed to view the site in a timely fashion. Its not really meant to attract the average Joe who just wants his/her name on a computer monitor. The T-shirt ect. thing is just a quirky bit I threw in to give it some flavor.

chromate
08-30-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Amadeus
I have to say that Flash is where its at.

I don't want to turn this into a debate (there's been enough of them). "Flash is where it's at" is a massive generalisation. In general, I'm really not a big fan of flash.

However, on some sites that are highly interactive then there's no substitute. I was recently using the Nike site to design my own shoe! The flash worked extremely well in that context.

I quite like your site though Amadeus. It's nicely laid out and easy to navigate. Just be careful not to over indulge the flash ;) Good job!

Mike
08-30-2003, 09:59 AM
I like the flash buttons at the top...

Amadeus
08-31-2003, 10:27 AM
Chromate,
I agree, no debate needed. The sites not designed to have a high-tec chrome plated bells and whistles look. The photos (all originals) give it a more down to earth feel and it follows through to the rest of the site. Im not into an over-indulgance of actions either and the comsumer has a low tolerance for that as well.

incka
09-08-2003, 12:36 PM
I think flash sites are rubbish... but flash on sites is good because it creates quickloading interactive things such as games and movies when search engine optomisation can be done aboce or below the flash.

Mike
09-08-2003, 01:26 PM
Haven't your last two designs been flash? Those nice looking menu's?

incka
09-09-2003, 12:03 AM
There rubbish for SEO. Google never got past the home page. I've realised now.