PDA

View Full Version : mysql

thebillionaire
07-31-2004, 01:43 PM
I had a question with my sql I was making a game and am using mysql for the user data base, but I was wondering if there is a way to load the data in the mysql from another server. So one server has the game and another server has the mysql database can I first server read the data from the second?

MarkB
07-31-2004, 01:50 PM
Sorry to be anal, but this should be in the Website Programming & Databases (http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25) forum.

Chris
07-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Yes. You can query MySQL servers remotely. However this takes longer and you may see performance issues.

chromate
07-31-2004, 02:26 PM
Mark's right. But it'll get moved anyway, so what the heck I'll reply. :)

Yes, you can host the database on another server. Just use the address of the server as the "host" parameter when you use mysql_connect. Depending on how the mysql server is set up, you may need to register the requesting server's IP address with the mysql server. You should be able to find this in cpanel (if that's what you're using). Also be aware that some, but probably a minority of, hosts choose to deny any requests from remote servers for security reasons.

Mike
07-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Yes, I think you can add another address/ip in cpanel for mysql.

MarkB
07-31-2004, 02:35 PM
If you're using dual servers, make sure they're directly connected to cut down on lag between them - many busy servers use multiple servers (ie clusters).

thebillionaire
07-31-2004, 07:05 PM
If you're using dual servers, make sure they're directly connected to cut down on lag between them - many busy servers use multiple servers (ie clusters).

what do you mean by directly connected.

AndyH
07-31-2004, 07:42 PM
what do you mean by directly connected.

That there is a network cable from the front end server to the database server. This will make it pretty much as fast if the webserver and the database were on the same machine.

If not, it means that the data has to go through switches, routers and maybe even different networks (depending on where the other server is). This is when you will see lag.

thebillionaire
08-01-2004, 09:27 AM
See Im making a game and when people sign up they will be registered onto a mysql database, on a server but there are going to be multiple servers so is there a way to allow all servers to save with one sign up and ever time the usersaves all the other mysql save the data, will this be faster or only my sql. Would Microsoft Access be better at saving alot of variables or mysql?

intelliot
08-01-2004, 01:35 PM
in general, MySQL is better for most applications.

MarkB
08-01-2004, 03:46 PM
This is really a question you should ask a hosting company - they'd be better suited to tell you what would be best when designing a server cluster for this kind of application.

thebillionaire
08-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the help